MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 2007 Cooper S has an error code saying 'unmetered intake air'.

I looked for a leak but can't find any.

What is the best way to test for this? I was thinking maybe use my air compressor to pressurise the intake pipe and listen for leaks with the engine off?

I could 3D print something to go from my air compressor to the intake pipe, but I wonder if air won't just escape through the PCV system?

Or would it be better to block the intake pipe at turbo and feed pressure in the PCV hose that usually connects near the air box? That way pressurising the valve cover and PCV system too?

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Specifically how would you go about doing that on the N14 engine? I've never done a smoke test before so I'd need to build a smoke machine.

This engine has a separate vacuum pump so you can't feed in at a brake booster line. Would I need to block off any lines like the main intake? Does a the smoke test need much pressure behind it to get the smoke going all through little tubes?

Thanks.

· Registered
49 Posts
Is it a 2885 error code ? I had that a few weeks ago shortly after a fair bit of engine work - turned out I hadn't tightened a clip enough and the boost had popped a hose off one end of the intercooler. It drove fine, but warning light and no boost.

Worth a quick crawl under the car and check the pipework from turbo through intercooler and back up to the intake in case there's something obvious come adrift.

Dave.

· Registered
13,636 Posts
have found a better way now from smoke bombs ie ebay disco spoke machine and some pipe and duct tape, feed it in to the air intake on car and use a light to find the leaks ie smoke out of anywhere it should not be,, can even use UV dye as well and use ultra violet light, link below,
rubber pipe clear stuff better
duct tape
or if your feeling rich

Reactions: knt
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.