MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my license wednesday and I am thinking about a Mini Cooper S -03 18000km, I have some questions.

What shall I think about, the car is pretty new, yes, but are there some problems with that year?
Can you fit 2 grownups in the back?
How expensive is it to own? Does it break often? Expensive spare parts?

Anything else I've missed, I will try to get a testdrive on monday.

Thanks in advance,
Mario

·
Registered
429 Posts
There are really no problems with any model year. The engine software seems have been the major complaint. Some versions give the car a cold start problem or a stuttering feeling at partial throttle above 3k rpm. I've got through all versions and none of these hurt the complete drivability of the MINI. As for 2 grownups in the back, it depends on how big and how long. With the front seats up some, you should be able to get some decent legroom but nothing great for longer trips. I'm 6'4" and my head does hit the roof when sitting in the back seats so 6'2" is probably the limit back there.

The cost of ownership is basically premium gas. You should be able to get over 30 mpg if you drive any distance on the highway or don't sit in traffic a lot. As long as you don't stick it all the time, you'll be alright in that area.

There really haven't been any problems but it is a BMW so repair costs will be pretty high.

I started driving our MINI when I was 17 years old and it does have a little learning curve (probably compounded by the fact that I came from driving a Honda Insight) but it quickly becomes easy. Have you learned to drive on a stick or are you planning on learning with the MINI? Anyway, good luck on your decision.

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I've learnt by driving mostly BMW, X5, 535i and my moms Suzuki Grand Vitara, so I'm not really going to learn to drive on it. Thanks for your answers kapps, appreciate it. Anyone else?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi

Test drive the car and see if it pulls to the left or right when u drive on a straight road. Let got of the steering wheel and test this. It may pull slightly because of difference in tyre pressure (check this before u drive) and if the road isn´t perfectly level, id so nothing is wrong. Also check that the steering feel rather heavy and tight when u drive slow, that is how it should be. Listen to the engine for strange noises, some have reported a strange ticking noise (no idea how it sounds , I got a Cooper and not the S). Also check for small dents (doors), that is rather common.

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noone else? C'mon people!

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
if it's an 03 car you will still have at least 12-18months of warranty left so no major thing should cost you much. Not sure if MINI do TLC in Sweeden but if they do your laughing - as thats all the servicing costs covered too.

As everyone else has said - test drive the car, its the only way to get a feel of it and you should be able to spot any major problems.

whats the spec?

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts