MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well picked up my Pure Silver Mini Convertible on Sat (see pictures on the last page of the post your pics here thread) and didn't get home till 11:00pm so I didn't have much time to play with it. My luck today (Sunday) was 79 so it was top down all day. First thing I'd like to say is I love driving this, I was like I'm driving a little toy car, got a few honks today and a bunch of ohhh and ahhhs. Even pulling up next to some people driving some convertible BMW Z3's it felt great. The Nav system is really great though I need to play around with it a bit more cause it seems to give me longer directions then I really need to go. Also I'm not sure how new the DVD is cause it didn't have my friends place/address which was built about 1 year ago. The car handles very well, I got the CVT, there is a slight jump on the initial acceleration but after that its smooth sailing. The Harmon Kardon speaker system sounds great even with the top down going 65. Though you in for a surprise when your blasting the music and your NAV system starts yelling just as loud at you to turn in a quarter mile. I like the Parking Assist, I find that a really nifty feature.

My only major beef at the moment is the visibility. I can't seen a damn thing with the top up. Every time I change lanes I'm scared to death someones in my blind spot. With the roof down its a bit better but not much, changing to my left is fine but again, my right I can't see the blind spot at all.

Now a few quick questions that I haven't figured out yet, maybe I should go read the manual for the 15th time.

1. Do I always need to hit the unlock switch every time I want to get out of the car? I know the doors auto lock when I start moving but its a pain to remember to unlock them each time I'm done driving.

2. How do you change the time on the speedometer?

3. Isn't pressing the roof down button twice suppose to get the top completely down? I was under the impression you pressed it once for the sun roof and once for it down. But I've got to hold the button down the whole time.

4. There is a small cap on the back bumper. Its on the right side and about the size of a half dollar and you can pull the cap off and you see wires inside what is that? And should I be able to pull it off that easy (and I'm not talk about those 4 tiny circles for the Parking Assist)

5. What does putting the car in sports mode actually do?

Thanks for listening,

Howard

·
Registered
81 Posts
1. My Mini automatically unlocks the doors after the ignition is turned off - you have to press the switch if you want to let people out whilst the engine is running.

2. Keep your finger pressed on the button. Eventually, it will start flashing a 24h / 12h symbol. Let go. Pressing the button will then change the selected item. If you let go and wait, it will move onto hours then minutes, then finish.

3. You do have to hold the button down for all roof operations.

4. Mmm. Only just noticed that on mine. Is it for the rear fog light on the 05 models for certain markets?

5. Rev higher before changing gear?

Talking about the visibility - I nearly got shunted by a car going past my drive yesterday as I was reversing out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
4. There is a small cap on the back bumper. Its on the right side and about the size of a half dollar and you can pull the cap off and you see wires inside what is that? And should I be able to pull it off that easy (and I'm not talk about those 4 tiny circles for the Parking Assist)
There is a cap in the front and back bumpers for the screw in tow connector. It is in your tools.

·
Registered
514 Posts
A number of behaviors can be configured by your dealer. Check the owner's manual for those items. For example, starting on page 26, you will find a number of different configurations related to how locking behaves:

1. Automatic locking activated/deactivated
2. Remote control operating of windows and top activated/deactivated
3. Lock/unlock via door lock behavior
4. Convenience closing via door lock activated/deactivated
5. Auto lock after driving off - activated/deactivated

BTW, our older BMW had you pull the door handle twice to open a door when it is locked. You could try that instead of hitting the toggle.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The one thing that isn't clear in the manual is: Can I have it programmed so when I hit door unlock on my remote, BOTH doors unlock, not just the drivers door.

I think hitting the unlock button twice is really lame, and their's no indication (such as lights flashing) that it received the second signal for unlock.

wonder if that's programmable... :confused:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, changing the clock sucks.

Anyways I think ever car I've owned to unluck the passenger door you have to press the unlock button twice.

Howard

·
Registered
81 Posts
MadisonMini said:
The one thing that isn't clear in the manual is: Can I have it programmed so when I hit door unlock on my remote, BOTH doors unlock, not just the drivers door.
I would have thought so - my Mini came programmed with that behaviour - one press on remote, both doors and boot unlock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
2 clicks for both doors to unlock

Having to click twice to have both doors open could potentially be beneficial.
I park in a deck and at night it is often very scary walking to my car. If someone was
on the other side of my car when I hit the unlock button, they could jump in the car with me. There was a case here where that happened to a young woman... with a sad ending.

Either way, sounds like you can have it programmed to your needs!! MINIs rock!

·
fun fun fun!
206 Posts
for the unlocking of the doors, you just have to pull the door handle once and it unlocks and twice( once after) to open it. Also for the remote.. id just like to add that most all remote unlock cars make you press the button twice to unlock the whole car.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 2

Didn't get much driving time today since I was at work. But I noticed a rattle when the top is up on the driver side. And I noticed a dead pixel on the LCD for the NAV (cry... anyone else ever have one there? Will the dealer replace the lcd?). I better start making a list of things to be fixed. Other then that, ride was great as usual.

Howard

·
Registered
437 Posts
Rattle

I've also noticed the rattle in the driver's door. For some reason, it's usually only when I first start to drive in the morning. Goes away later in the day, may have something to do with the car being cold.

If you hear the rattle, crack the window, the rattle goes away, so it has something to do with the window. But like i said, it goes away in a short while all on its own.

weird...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts