MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked-up my DS/B MCS with 19% pulley,17" wheels and JCW upgrade yesterday. I leased a 2002 325i BMW previously and put 32,000 miles on it. I generally thought that the 325i was the best built and handling car to date.
I think that some people would like to know how the MCS compares to my former BMW. In general, it compares very well. Some of the surprises were that i was expecting a very harsh ride from the run-flat tires, alot of exhaust noise, some intake sound, and a few rattles. What I found was that the run-flats gave a ride slightly harsher than the BMW, but not objectionable; the exhaust is not noticeable unless you turn-off the radio and open the windows, and it is pleasant; even with the JCW upgrade there was no intake noise (I did not exceed 4,000 rpm due to break-in); the rear wiper makes a slight noise, but no other rattles.

The MCS exceeds the 325i in handling, and is quieter at 70 mph than the 325i. The seats are as comfortable and most of the instruments have the same functionality. The engine sound is better (very subjective) and i really liked the 325i sound. The 19% pulley provides great torque at low revs and i cant wait until the break-in is over so that I can rev it to 5,500 to 6,000 rpm. The MCS exceeded my expectations.

·
Registered
882 Posts
A 19% pulley on a JCW car? Very interesting! I'd be interested to see how this compares to the standard JCW item.

Do you have any issues with heat build-up either?

Sounds like you have a great car, enjoy!

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JCW upgrade only not JCW kit

I am still driving cautiously waiting for the break-in to end. i will let you know when i can let it all hang-out. Just to clarify. I have the JCW upgrade (CAI, injectors and ECU flash) and a 19% pulley, not the whole JCW kit (head, exhaust, 15% pulley). I call it JCW lite. It seems to run great, very smooth with alot more low end than the standard MCS. I do not know if it is the 19% pulley or the combination of the two.

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
Interesting

Is your whole engine/drivetrain still covered under OEM warranty with that 19% pulley?

reason I ask is that others who've installed 19% reductions or greater have cavitated and blown their water pumps, >ahem< warranty-void $1,100 water pumps >ahem< :eek:

I'll look around for the thread that discussed the effects of smaller pulley reductions among other engine parts that are also spinning and moving faster. Yet if BMW and JCW have certified that 17-19% reductions are OK, I may have to rethink any more than 15%.

Did your dealer install the kit? Jimbo

G

·
berky said:
I picked-up my DS/B MCS with 19% pulley,17" wheels and JCW upgrade yesterday. I leased a 2002 325i BMW previously and put 32,000 miles on it. I generally thought that the 325i was the best built and handling car to date.
I think that some people would like to know how the MCS compares to my former BMW. In general, it compares very well. Some of the surprises were that i was expecting a very harsh ride from the run-flat tires, alot of exhaust noise, some intake sound, and a few rattles. What I found was that the run-flats gave a ride slightly harsher than the BMW, but not objectionable; the exhaust is not noticeable unless you turn-off the radio and open the windows, and it is pleasant; even with the JCW upgrade there was no intake noise (I did not exceed 4,000 rpm due to break-in); the rear wiper makes a slight noise, but no other rattles.

The MCS exceeds the 325i in handling, and is quieter at 70 mph than the 325i. The seats are as comfortable and most of the instruments have the same functionality. The engine sound is better (very subjective) and i really liked the 325i sound. The 19% pulley provides great torque at low revs and i cant wait until the break-in is over so that I can rev it to 5,500 to 6,000 rpm. The MCS exceeded my expectations.
I agree. I have 2002 BMW 325 convrt and my wife just got her 2005 LY/Y MCS few weeks ago. I love her car, I'm attempted to keep it for myself and give her the BMW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No warrantee on 19% pulley

There is no warranty on the 19% pulley or any part associated with this install. There are a number of threads regarding the durability of the engine and water pump with aftermarket pulleys.

Not to be too philosophical, but if you want to have fun you have to take risks in life. If you are risk adverse buy a large Toyota SUV, you will be safe and the car will be reliable. The reason that an individual buys a Mini is that they want fun. The reason that a person modifies a Mini is that they want more fun.

The laws of physics still exist. If you over-stress the engine something will break. If you are hit by a large vehicle our little Mini will sustain more damage. I had the 19% pulley installed to increase the torque at lower RPMs. Guess what, it does just that. If I continuously redline the engine it will break.

There are no guarantees in life. Live life and live life well. Get up every morning and have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts