1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Clubman Cooper S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

New member!

Why I did not buy a 'new' mini before now, I do not know.

There it was... All shiny, black, smiling at us, saying "Buy me!". And we did.

2010 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 181 bhp, and now the smiles are on our faces.

I have some questions though...

·
Registered
Mini Clubman Cooper S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, Dan_in_WA

The MINI is great!

It has some horrible cheap runflats which I am swapping out for some Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6s at the weekend, then I am off to MINI for a checkup.

Wing mirrors don't fold but I am not sure they ever did, but surprised they don't fold even manually. They adjust ok but don't fold on locking. Could be a setting somewhere.

Windscreen Washers don't work, so assume that's just the pump or a fuse since there is no noise. Rear works ok.

Cigarette lighter has no power, again suspect a fuse.

Needs a new tailgate strut.

Otherwise in excellent condition.

No users manual with the car. It's May 2010 build so one of the first N18 engines, but the 2010 user manual I have downloaded online is for the facelift model. I assume I need one for the 2009 model, despite it's 181 horses.

Otherwise, all good and grin inducing.

·
Registered
Mini Clubman Cooper S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have fixed the cigarette lighter, and the windscreen washers. Simple issue with fuses. Have changed to 215/45r17 Goodyear non-run flats and have to say the handling is transformed but not sure if it's in a good way. Need to fiddle with tyre pressures but the slightly skittish and enthusiastic handling with the cheap run-flats has gone and it's much heavier and less responsive. Have a feeling I have made a mistake going for non-run flats.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S 2011 (R56 N18). Mini One 2012 (R56 N16).
468 Posts
Welcome 801
Ditching the runflats is definately the way to go.
I would suggest getting a full laser alignment done as it transformed the way my Oct 2010 N18 handled after getting rid of the runflats.
I also had the front wishbone rear bushes replaced with poly ones. That was also a huge transformation.

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
534 Posts
This is the best service manual out there that I’ve ever come across. They look real expensive until you get a quote from a shop!

Are you familiar with www.realoem.com ? Enter the BMW catalog, and put the last 7 digits of your VIN and it lets you find the part numbers for your MINI. Take the part number(s) to any of the vendors and drop it into the Search field, and there’s the part you need!

My daughter’s 2004 base Mini Cooper was $1200 and needed some work. So far I’ve managed to spend more than that on parts to get the car back into top running condition, so be warned it can be a little addictive!

Oh well, the car has been running like a Swiss watch so who cares?

It is in my shop for a new clutch at 140k miles at the moment, but the car’s been worth it. Especially with my daughter doing most of the wrenching with me coaching.

·
Registered
Mini Clubman Cooper S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Am finding the Goodyears are fine when on a straight run, and on country roads but a pain when manoeuvring at slow speed but still slightly heavy and unresponsive. Perhaps it's the choice of tyre or the width? I do need a proper wheel alignment done, but the track rods are seized and fear a whole world of pain if I start meddling...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts