MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
just moved to London from Australia so thought I would jump into being English by buying a 2003 Mini Cooper. Issue is I heard a whirring noise which turns out I need a re-conditioned gearbox (not for a while luckily) and the passenger side window and locking mechanism does not work. Now looking for the cheapest (as well as how to fix) the problems I've inherited. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
71 Posts
Hi all
just moved to London from Australia so thought I would jump into being English by buying a 2003 Mini Cooper. Issue is I heard a whirring noise which turns out I need a re-conditioned gearbox (not for a while luckily) and the passenger side window and locking mechanism does not work. Now looking for the cheapest (as well as how to fix) the problems I've inherited. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
You've bought a 16-year old car!

Mileage? Model? 6-speed? Auto?
Who said you needed a gearbox? I wouldn't worry about it although an oil-change might be worth-while. It's supposed to be sealed-for-life but it really isn't.
Windows & door locks are common problems. Plenty of threads on here & not too, too expensive to fix with basic tools.

Welcome to MINIs!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Admin. Yeah I know it’s a 16 year old car but still. Anyway it’s a 2003 Cooper Manual 6 speed that the previous owner had a new clutch put in so clutch is on point. I heard the whirring noise and 3 separate ships have suggested I wait for a while as it’s not bad but it def is gearbox. So as I only got it for £1000 I might just drive it into the ground and sell for scrap rather than pay £500 (best quote) for a re- conditioned one fitted. I think the window and door are more important right now due to summer coming and sheer annoyance but I do love driving the zippy little thing nonetheless. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.