MINI Cooper Forum banner

First post please be gentle!

2K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  supa-dupa-cooper 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Just joined up to your lovely site as i am looking to buy a MINI after the demise of my old Rover mini. I can't work out how i post an ad in the Wanted section? probably being really dim but can't see a link to post new ad?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place i'm just in a hurry to get my hands on my new MINI!!

#3 ·
Ahhh i see! thanks for your reply, glad to know i don't need to go to specsavers just yet ;-)

I am after a MINI Cooper,2001/2002-must be automatic as thats all i can drive, pref chilli pack and definately panoramic sunroof and airconditioning. Colours-preferable red or will consider blue or yellow. Not silver or black.
Budget of £6000

Typical fussy woman ;-)

#6 ·
Hi Leon and Liz and thanks for the welcome, ive had a look on the classifieds but nothing doing and also on ebay, autotrader,exchange and mart and pistonheads.

I'm a member of the North Devon Mini Register and if i don't find a MINI by next August i won't be able to do the Grand Tour event and i will be gutted!! Luckily they are one of the mini clubs that welcome any minis old or new they are more concerned about the paople not what they drive which is nice :)

#10 ·
Wanted to advise that the auto One and Cooper had a CVT box and I've heard alot of issues with it. Search on here about it. If your funds can stretch I would suggest getting a S as they had a more reliable auto box. I've got a auto S and the gear changing is amazing - no slippage like the old CVTs. Supposedly the fuel consumption in the CVTs were horrendous too. Read through searches on here and see what you think?

Good luck with the MINI search! x

#12 ·
Hi Laura thankyou, have tried the autotrader search but only car with all i want on it was silver ...which i don't want! lol-told you i was fussy!
I've got a Nissan Micra at the mo which has a CVT box and that's fine but i will definately check it out,thanks for the advice, wish i could stretch to a cooper s :)

#16 ·
seems like most of the posters on the cvt probs thread are in the USA, I'm assuming that their cars are still made in this country though? Or am I wrong there? Suppose it could be that autos are more popular in America...oh well not going to let it put me off, if something goes wrong I'll just have to deal with it I suppose :-/

#17 ·
Yeah I think they are very popular in USA - same auto box here and there though. But I think because there are so many autos in America they are going to be the ones reporting issues. But forums are like that you only come on to report problems not to say its perfect! I'm sure theres thousands of MINI autos which are perfect!

Just wanted to clue you up and help with research not put you off would never put anyone off a MINI!

#19 ·
No you haven't put me off laura, i need to do a bit of research-i'm sure every car has something like that that can happen to it, doesn't mean that it will!

Thanks Vickie-yep hopefully soon :)
Am thinking i might have to go for a One instead of a Cooper on my budget. As its auto anyway the extra power isn't really an issue and i may be able to find a higher spec One for the same price possibly?
On a purely superficial note tho i really did like the contrast roof but i was thinking of going for a chequered roof anyway....

#31 ·
Howdy, welcome to MINI2!

I noted that you are looking for a 2001/2002 cooper. As others have kindly pointed out, there have been issues with early builds. It's good to see that all this has not put you off.

Good luck with your search for a replacement of your classic Mini. In case you have not stumbled upon it yourself, the US Mini site has a buyers guide on their site, summarising the typical issues and weaknesses of each built. You may find this useful to have at hand during your search. As the guide points out, even though early builts may have some issues, they are still great cars. The guide: MotoringFile MINI R50/R53 Buyers Guide

It is to be admired that you seem to be taking your time to find the MINI of your dreams.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

#20 ·
You can easily add things afterwards which makes this website invaluable! See my first MINI - it was a One and I bought it with only Salt pack, 15" alloys and a cd changer.

Then I modified it a bit to my perfect MINI. Adding bits here and there until it was perfect.

You wouldn't know it was the same MINI.

You can easily vinyl wrap your roof to the coloured roof that you like or even do something completely personal and that is why MINI2 is brilliant! You can see what everyone else has done and see what you like and make a mod list! Thats what I did!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.