MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to leave your engine running for a little while before moving off? It states in the owner's manual to move off as soon as possible but I can't stand how the car drives as soon as the engine has been turned over from cold, it's horrible. I find the car runs so much better after a warm up as the engine oil has circulated and warmed up a bit. I always leave the car to turn over for little bit before moving off and also before starting the car up I always leave the ignition on for about 30 seconds before starting the engine, because I read somewhere you get a smoother start due to the fuel pump having more time to pressurize the fuel and I think it does make a difference. What do you guys think, am I being a bit over-concerned? or doing the right thing?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
I would normally start the car and just drive straight away but my temp gauge is almost half way to normal by the time i reverse out of the garage and out of the drive, im also messing about with music lol

So normally, start and drive unless in winter then start and let it sit so I get hot air when I get in. I dont like a cold gearstick considering it is metal lol

·
Clubman 'S' Power
343 Posts
Ive got a r56 s and I think its a bit stupid that it doesnt have one because the first sign of any/major overheating would be a warning light.
I have had my clubman S for 4 months now and I never noticed, I will have a look

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
You need to get the oil moving around the engine as quick as possible so it can lubricate everything, it isn't going to do that as best as possible just idling is it? ;)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I drive as suggested by the handbook, Mini have no reason to advise to drive straight away except if it really is better for the car. My Mini drives fine straight away, possibly just a smidgen of extra revs needed. Have you compared your Mini to any ones else's or asked a dealer to check the car?

·
24hr
248 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, it won't matter either way.
Some mornings I pull out of the drive and stop again pretty much straight away in traffic for ten to fifteen minutes. Can't see the difference really ?

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need to get the oil moving around the engine as quick as possible so it can lubricate everything, it isn't going to do that as best as possible just idling is it? ;)
The engine is still working away though in both circumstances? It just isn't put under load to pull the car...?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts