MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what should I upgrade first on the suspension of my MCS, sometimes I drive it on auto cross and slalom courses, the next year I will have more events even at the race track.

Shocks, sway bars front and rear, strut brace,toe control arms, camber plates what? I do not have all the money to change coil overs and I think it would be to much money and for my need.

What should I do first.

Remember daily use driving and some weekends auto cross and a lot of fun.

Cheers.

Ricardo

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ricardo, I don't race and I haven't made any other suspension changes, so I can only say that the REAR SWAYBAR has an a big bang for your buck in handling around corners at speed...driving around town you don't know its there, but accerlerate into a turn and the car steers much better. Its easy enough to install yourself, and seems to be the first suspension mod many people make. Let us know what you decide, and your results!

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
I can vouch for that. Webb motorsport's HSport rear bar is what I have, and it's really good. It's the most dramatic handling change you can make on the MINI for a reasonable price($230). The website is www.webbmotorsports.com (just saying it's good from past experience, nothing more!) I'd say do the sway bar first, the front is unnecessary as the car is alrady very stiff at the front. The front strut brace is just eye candy, you won't say any difference. :cool:

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
rica;
Considering how you drive your car, you really should get both swaybars uprated not just the rear.
You road rally as well as auto-x. Both bars and if you can afford it maybe adjustable end links.
You want the car tight for auto-x but less so for road courses. It'd be nice, but more work and expense, to have the adjustability.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks to all

I will try to buy both sway bars rear an front and if the price is not to high also adjustable, no one has told me or recommend me different springs or shocks, should I change them not just for looks?

Rick

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sway bar info...

Hey Rica-Noal

I went for the adjustable 22mm Progress rear bar from Moss MINI and the softer position is a nice change but I have to work to get the back end to come out, so I feel that position is much more manageable.

On the Stiff position the during auto-X the back end would not stay put - it was a gas to drive but i was loosing too much time having the back end swinging back and forth.

It certainly did make a incredible difference to the car ( when people talked about "Going out to drive your new car" after the sway bar change i though it was dreams but it did make a huge difference.
Keeping that lateral load transfer under control to keep the front wheels on the ground makes all the difference *without* making the ride any harsher...

http://www.teamscr.com/sway.html

I think i will be going for the front bar ( 27mm or bigger if i can find one ) to let me use the stiffer setting on the rear to balance out the changes to the stiffer rear position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts