MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've just finished upgrading the back lights to '05 spec and it all works (reversing and fog lights)!

Is this the first, or has it been done and I've just not noticed?

Photo attached.

Tigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Each to their own.;) I hate them.

Waiting to see if next years white indicator version does anything for me... I'd imagine they'll look a bit better, but that's about it.

·
Jay
737 Posts
In Miniworld they have an advert for the new mini saying about the clear '05 lights... which are the 04 lights, they must just have different wiring

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
StevePSB said:
Each to their own.;) I hate them.

Waiting to see if next years white indicator version does anything for me... I'd imagine they'll look a bit better, but that's about it.
They probably look better, the US ones certainly do (all red), so I'd imagine the white would look good too.

:)

Clear rears (04) style is from our own Mikeythemini (www.newministuff.com)

;)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fitting the '05 lights.

I walked into my BMW dealer in Exeter and found the lights for sale, including an additional wiring loom to add to the current one.

The first kit had only just arrived and no one in their service department had tried to do it yet and they wouldn't have been able to attempt it for a couple of weeks. I got them to print out the pages from their on-line manual, negotiated a "parts only" price and off I went for a late night in the garage.

It took about 3 hours and would probably take about 1 1/2 hours to do it a 2nd time! The additional wiring loom was essential. I can claim no particular skill here, so most people should be able to do it.

I'm very pleased with the result, especially as what was the reversing light is now effectively "invisible" (the car being red as well).

I am not at all convinced about most of the '05 facelift, but the rear lights are much more visible at night and the 2 reversing lights will be a great help here as it can get very dark here at night (very little light pollution).

As far as the warranty is concerned, I will be relying on the fact that I've fitted BMW approved parts and hoping that they are reasonable. Normally they only usually throw out claims where it is a direct result of the customer doing something stupid and this could just as easily have been done whilst fitting an aftermarket ICE.

The kit was £229 fitted, or £105 parts only (all including VAT). Personally, I think they messed the parts only price up! According to the instructions, it then needs about £25 worth of workshop time to change the software on the car to adapt to the new lights. From a wiring point of view there is no obvious reason why this should be necessary and all systems are now working perfectly without any reprogramming having taken place. From my previous experience of working on multiplex wired cars the is one instruction that you must follow: disconnect the battery -ve lead before starting work.

The instructions from BMW are needlessly complicated and in some places they are even wrong! If anyone wants a few hints before trying it themselves you are welcome to pm me.

Tigger.

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
interesting Tigger. I had the prices through for this from my dealer the other day. They quoted me £105 inc VAT for just the parts and £145 inc VAT fitted. Guess £40 for fitting isnt bad then if you think it would take well over an hour.

I would be interested in more details and possibly (if it's not too cheeky of me!) a copy of the BMW notes on this. Maybe at the run on the 27th?

The front headlights are also available and was quoted the following for theese too:

Headlights without Xenon, Parts Only £195 Inc VAT, Fitted £245 Inc VAT

Headlight with Xenon, Parts Only £630 Inc VAT, Fitted £680 Inc VAT

many thanks

Paul

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
minisoopercooper

Hi Paul

Yes, well worth getting them to do it for £145 inc VAT.

You will find that the old lamps have a nice high density foam seal around their edge which is missing on the new units. The old seal can be removed from the old lights and just transferred over and it fits so much better. Definately ask them to do this whilst they are at it!

Interestingly my dealer was quoting £229 inc fitting for the new front lights, so they would appear to making up the prices locally! I wouldn't bother with the new standard headlights, but the Xenons would be very tempting, but I think Eeyore will kill me if I spent that sort of money on them!

I'll be glad to bring a copy of the BMW manual print out with me when I see you in two weeks.

Tigger.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The price for the lamps is £105.01 incl. VAT. Labour is 1.25 hours at your dealers rate, so I'd guess that the price of £145.00 is labour only to go with the £105.01 for the lamps. ie: £250 fitted.

There's no way a BMW/MINI dealer would charge £40 for an hour and a quarter of labour! :D

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ginger said:
Why? the original are far nicer.
G :ibblack:
Interesting point!

Actually, I don't like most of the changes for the '05 car, particularly the removal of the nice large chrome bumper inserts and the fact that the front of the MINI now shares styling cues with other BMW's :eek: .

However, the new rear lights mean that the rear fog light now blends in with the rest of the bumper on my chilli red Cooper (that alone makes the whole back of the car look much smarter). The rear brake and tail lamps are much more easily seen and the reversing lights are much brighter (there being two of them!) and that's important to me as it's very dark at night in Cornwall! The only down side is the loss of the 2nd rear fog light. Oh well, overall it's better.

Now that they are in place I much prefer the look of them as well. However, I still don't like most of the other changes and when are they going to put the clock back in the proper place?!

Tigger.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul Mullett said:
Got my lights today, might get them on the car tomorrow......

Might not.

:rolleyes: :D
Go on, go for it...

Tigger

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
mikeythemini said:
Paul - you should have a silver/red bulb for your fog lamp tomorrow - have sent you one
Mike
Cool thanks, I've replied on the "other" thread too.

Morty, no pics, I did it in the dark (was fun guessing which wire was which)!

:rolleyes: :D

One thing for sure, they are MUCH brighter. I swapped half and half to start with, just to make sure I really wanted to do it, and I did. This time of year I drive in darkness more than daylight, so it's worth doing.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Put on the "clear" red fog light in the white reverse housing, it's cool. Looks sort of pearly/blue (indi blue car, so that's OK) and lights very red. Clever what they can do with lens coatings these days.

:)

I'll take some pics later, lovely grey day, good for light photos!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts