MINI Cooper Forum banner

first wash - scratches already on plastics

1126 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  chilihead
:confused: After 2 days of ownership and 100 miles my new MCS was already in need of a good clean.

Procedure was as follows:
Rinse with hose
Shampoo with new sponge and autoglym car shampoo.
Dry with natural leather

I am rather concerned that after being as careful as possible there are minor scratches on the front plastic bumber and around the plastic air bonnet intake. The paintwork on the non plastic parts looks mint.

I have contacted the dealer who has said that they can take a look and try to polish them out but I am thinking that this will only be okay until the next wash. I also own autoglym polish and wax but maybe the car is too new to use these.

Any comments would be much appreciated.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
its difficult to comment without knowing how minor the scratches are. plastic parts by their very nature are going to be moe prone to marking than metal ones, it could be that there was some dirt/grit on your sponge or leather although if this was the case you'd expect to see scratches on the metal parts as well. best bet is to let the dealer take a look. i've never had any particular problems with the plastics marking
chilihead said:
:confused: After 2 days of ownership and 100 miles my new MCS was already in need of a good clean.

Procedure was as follows:
Rinse with hose
Shampoo with new sponge and autoglym car shampoo.
Dry with natural leather

I am rather concerned that after being as careful as possible there are minor scratches on the front plastic bumber and around the plastic air bonnet intake. The paintwork on the non plastic parts looks mint.

I have contacted the dealer who has said that they can take a look and try to polish them out but I am thinking that this will only be okay until the next wash. I also own autoglym polish and wax but maybe the car is too new to use these.

Hi Chilihead,

Sounds like you might have picked up alittle grit on the sponge, are you sure the scratches weren't there from new? sorry if that sounds obvious!!, sometimes these things aren't noticeable until you start handwashing. If the scratches are on the surface of the clearcoat then Maguires Scratch X should remove these. I never wash my S using a sponge as they tend to trap small particles of grit. I have found using one of Maguires woollen wash mits much better as these tend not to trap debris etc, think they cost £9-99 and last about 12 months with weekly washing. oh and its super soft on the paint finish! What also helps is using a car shampoo that lathers up well, I have found with Autoglyms shampoo that it stays watery without much lather. I'm currently using Car Plans Triplewax car shampoo £1-99 from Wilkos and use 4 capfulls and it produces a good lather/suds that helps to float the dirt and off the paintwork!

Hope that helps!
I have a halfords wool washmit. Maybe I'll try that next time. You are correct penguinblue when you say that autoglym shampoo stays watery. The cheap stuff that I used to use gives a far greater lather. I really want to get some wax on to it but the weather is so bad at the moment.
Hi Chilihead,

I think the weather is forecast not too bad for this weekend, so you might be ok!....you can wax so long as its not freezing!....it's probably better for your car to wax when its a bit cooler than when its hot or when the cars body is hot from the sun!....I forgot to mention try the Maguires gold class wax followed by 2 or 3 coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss and it will make all the difference when washing the car.
Penguinblue said:
Hi Chilihead,

I think the weather is forecast not too bad for this weekend, so you might be ok!....you can wax so long as its not freezing!....it's probably better for your car to wax when its a bit cooler than when its hot or when the cars body is hot from the sun!....I forgot to mention try the Maguires gold class wax followed by 2 or 3 coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss and it will make all the difference when washing the car.

I'll look out for the Maguires. Ive been watching the weather closely. As you say may be ok this weekend so it will hopefully give me a chance to get out on a long run. Ive only done 100m so far. Thanks for the tips.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.