MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you fit both? any problems with this? just curious...may seem like a technically stupid question from a novice like me!

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
can you fit both? any problems with this? just curious...may seem like a technically stupid question from a novice like me!
You can fit both but I would avoid the crank pulley for the same reason mentioned above.

There are debates about the crank pulley but people will say there is no hard facts that crank pullies cause problems but I beg to differ. Over the pond there was a case of I think 6 cars having oil pumps failures and the ONLY common parts was. . . . . . . . . . the undampened lightened crank pulley

Make you own choice though but there is my opinion;)

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I have a lightened flywheel as you know and because of it there is an increase in chatter from the gearbox, its one of the disadvantage of having a solid flywheel instead of a dual mass. I would imagine adding a lighter & un-dampened crank pulley would pass the increased vibration across to other parts much more than the stock would.

Think of it as a Angry dog... fitting the lighter flywheel is like poking it with a stick... fitting a crank pulley without a vibration damper is like taking off the muzzle lol, either way it's going to end up in a mess ;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have a lightened flywheel as you know and because of it there is an increase in chatter from the gearbox, its one of the disadvantage of having a solid flywheel instead of a dual mass. I would imagine adding a lighter & un-dampened crank pulley would pass the increased vibration across to other parts much more than the stock would.

Think of it as a Angry dog... fitting the lighter flywheel is like poking it with a stick... fitting a crank pulley without a vibration damper is like taking off the muzzle lol, either way it's going to end up in a mess ;)
lol i here what your saying! but it had done 45.000 miles and my cooper s was flogged to 7400rpm...:biggrin: no maybe its a (testament) and i am doing it again to my GP..:aargh:

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
lol i here what your saying! but it had done 45.000 miles and my cooper s was flogged to 7400rpm...:biggrin: no maybe its a (testament) and i am doing it again to my GP..:aargh:
From what Roland said it's worth looking at it around 50k so only applicable if your going high miles with the car or your kind to your next owner ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts

Batou, I'm pretty sure the chatter is from the sprung disc not the flywheel(flywheel is bolted to the crank baby). The chatter I hear-in neutral-is from the pressure plate wiggling around clamped to the flywheel.

After you break in your clutch you're going to love the reduced rotating mass man! I'm only down about 10 pounds due to the heavier OBX diff I'm running. You're down about 15 lbs. ;)

I'm glad I did the lighter flywheel because since the diameter of the flywheel is much greater than the crank pulley. More rev happy motor. Guys/gals running the crank pulley seem pretty happy though!

Jeremy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts