MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy is it to fit an alloy coolant header tank in place of the original plastic one on a 2003 Gen 1 MCS? Despite changing the filler cap twice the plastic tank still leaks from around the cap.

Will I have to drain the whole cooling system and bleed it on refilling, or can I get away with removing the old tank with just the loss of coolant in the tank and then refitting new one and topping up the system?

I'd like to do the job myself but if I'm going to have to refill and bleed the whole coolant system I think I will leave it to the garage when I have it next serviced.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Dont know about the Gen 1 myself as I havent got one, but could you clamp the hoses to the header tank with a mole grip or brake flex clamp to stop the water in the rest of the system draining away and getting airlock problems, then all you need do is carefully refill the new tank when fitted and hopefully no bleeding required?
Just an idea.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your idea of clamping the hoses might work, but I suspect there is not a lot of room underneath the tank to get suitable clamps on.
I'm wondering if the bottom connection on the tank is actually below the cylinderhead level so that coolant will drain out of the head when the pipe is disconnected?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hi ya
its easy job to swap original for original its about 15 minutes of work cant see it being any harder to fit after market one as long as its made for the gen one.

Just draw out the coolant in the tank till it at the bottom hose level, remove upper and lower hoses, remove tank fit new one refit the hoses top up with correct coolant then run the car at idle with the heater on let it warm up a little, this will make shore you have no trapped air in lower hose.
Job done just keep an eye on it over the next few days make shore you have no leaks and the level is ok

Hope this helps

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this; your suggestion sounds more promising. Can you (or anyone else) confirm that removing the header tank isn't going to involve major drain down and bleeding of the coolant system upon refill/top-up?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts