MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Carrying on my growing list of "subtle" updates to my July 2003 build Cooper S, today I added the new '05 puddle lights using my own DIY method.

I bought the lights from the MINI dealership, they cost just under £5 for the pair. Sadly I binned the packets before writing down the part numbers, sorry!

Then all I needed was some wires, and some wiring bits and pieces, and some time in the afternoon to fit them. I used instructions from www.newministuff.com which are actually for the electric folding mirrors retrofit so I could get the wires throgh the plastic tubing between the door and car to make as clean an install as I possibly could.

I cut the holes in the door card (carefully) using a stanley knife after marking the corners with the light unit (door card removed from the car) and I spliced the wires to the footwell lights to supply power to the puddle lights. It was a fiddly install, but the process was very simple.

I don't have any "after" photos as I've not been out in the dark with it yet to take snaps, but there's a few "during" shots here.....

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was trying to figure out all sorts of clever and/or cheap ways to do this, but at £5 a pair (including bulbs) the OEM lights are cheap, and the new cars just have pre-cut "holes", so I figured (with wiring tips from Mikey's site) that I could do it.

Also now considering various ideas with accent LED lights, but not feeling that brave just now...

:D

·
Rep withdrawal sucks.....
1,086 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
Got a bit of a mix-n-match MINI now, early model drivers side shelf, '05 rear lights (but with "clear" fog light in the bumper), '05 puddle lights, should be getting '05 smooth grille (in Indi Blue), and the rest is either aftermarket or "correct" model year!

:)
Nice job Paul, considering that the only other way to install the puddle lights is to actually buy the entire 05 door panel, which would be mighty expensive :(

Question - why would you want to get the '05 smooth grille? It's a cleaner look, for sure, but somewhat generic and featureless. I like the molded look of the pre '05 grille, it gives the new MINI some old-school flavour!!! However, if you intend to paint over the chrome, the same colour as the car, then it would make sense to go with the '05 grille.

For me, the biggest mod one could actually do, believe or not, is to replace the old door armrests with the '05 curved ones - that's one ergonomic improvement which is immediately noticable and useful.

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
Got a bit of a mix-n-match MINI now, early model drivers side shelf, '05 rear lights (but with "clear" fog light in the bumper), '05 puddle lights, should be getting '05 smooth grille (in Indi Blue), and the rest is either aftermarket or "correct" model year!

:)

I'll be interested in the part numbers and how you get on with fitting the smooth grill Paul, IMO its a much nicer look than the old style... and probably easier to clean !!

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll get some "completed" shots today in the light, then some at night too (so you can actually see how they work).

To answer the above....

Smooth grille: I prefer it, I think it looks cleaner and also it will be easier to clean! The MINI has very smooth lines over all, and I think the new grille, while looking less "Mini retro" suits the car better.

New arm rests: I'm not convinced, find them too intrusive when driving and really hard to fish things out of the pockets. I think they "look" better, but in practice I'm not keen.

It's one of those things that I really liked on the new cars when I first had one for any length of time, it's a small touch, but a very nice one I think. :D

I think it's the best modification I've done for £5! (Maybe a bit more if you count the wire and connectors!)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.