MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
5 years with MINI ONE
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone fitted a Cooper spoiler?, the one with the two bolts sticking out the back of the spoiler?.

Do you need any kit(s) to fit it and were do you drill the holes?

Thank
Paul.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
Pglenning said:
Firstly HAPPY NEW YEAR :D

One last try, Has anyone fitted a Cooper spoiler?
I've been tempted to, but not done it...yet...

If you open the tailgate and look behind the tailgate at the two top corners, you should find two black rubber bungs. These are the holes where you should see the bolts for the spoiler protruding (if you had an "S") and through which you do up the nut for the spoiler.

Hope that helps a bit.

Tigger.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
wylie_eyed said:
about the only thing you haven't done :D
Just think, Wylie, on the 4/1/05 I will have had the Cooper for just 6 months.

Imagine what I can do with the WHOLE OF 2005 :eek: :D

Tigger.

·
Comes and Goes
257 Posts
Dealers will only bond the the spoiler to the roof these days. as they found when you attach the spoiler to a mini or bmw after manufacture you will get rust appearing from the spoiler... lovely. (Fact - my mate had spoiler fitted to his 2 years ago when it was second hand - rust. my areo kit spoiler fitted using glue - perfect.)

i wouldnt use bolts ever unless you want to risk rust in the next couple of years. teh factory where they are made can use bolts because im guessing the many body of teh car is dipped and sealed before painting. (well this is what i know toyota do and was givin a pretty look round the factory and vidoes on this.)

ring your dealer... i know that people used to bolt them on after getting the car.. but take a good look at them now if you can get the chance.

·
Tannadice Terror
83 Posts
I had the Chilli Pack spoiler fitted to my old One about 2 years ago now, and they definitely drilled the holes.

I know this as they left lots of bits of swarf on the back of the car :mad:

Remember though, the spoiler comes in Primer and needs painting.

·
5 years with MINI ONE
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the spoiler painted and ready to fit, but I don't know if I should TRY to fit it or get the dealership to fit it. It looks easy to fit, but it is the drilling I am worried about :( .

·
MINI2 Goofy
160 Posts
Pglenning said:
I have the spoiler painted and ready to fit, but I don't know if I should TRY to fit it or get the dealership to fit it. It looks easy to fit, but it is the drilling I am worried about :( .
I do reallly understand you, since i'm in your exact situation...

to drill or not to drill??? :( :confused:

·
Registered
402 Posts
I fitted the S spoiler to my car. I too had to drill the boot at 2 points and was a bit worried about doing it. I got a quote for about £350 just for fitting (I already had the part from eBay)... that made up my mind for me and I just went for it :rolleyes:

It isn't a hard job. Just insert a 10mm socket from a socket set into the hole in the back of the boot and this will giude the drill to the center. Use a drill bit that is a couple of mm wider than the thread.

It is a bit stressful drilling into your pride and joy but is totally worth it.

Jonathan

edit: make sure you buy a nice new good quality drill bit and drill slow and steady. If you can find an old car (or piece of car) to practice on then that would probably help.

If you need any further help just ask ;)

·
5 years with MINI ONE
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
onemini said:
I fitted the S spoiler to my car. I too had to drill the boot at 2 points and was a bit worried about doing it. I got a quote for about £350 just for fitting (I already had the part from eBay)... that made up my mind for me and I just went for it :rolleyes:

It isn't a hard job. Just insert a 10mm socket from a socket set into the hole in the back of the boot and this will giude the drill to the center. Use a drill bit that is a couple of mm wider than the thread.

It is a bit stressful drilling into your pride and joy but is totally worth it.

Jonathan

edit: make sure you buy a nice new good quality drill bit and drill slow and steady. If you can find an old car (or piece of car) to practice on then that would probably help.

If you need any further help just ask ;)
Thanks for this ;) , good idea regarding the 10mm socket set as a guide ;)

Will have a practice first :rolleyes: ,

Thanks again Jonathan !

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
2013 R55 Bond Street
1,075 Posts
I think I would drill a small pilot hole first, so you dont write your name in the paintwork with the drill.

Reading the comments about rust, when you have drilled your holes to the correct size, paint them and let them dry before installing the spoiler, taking care not to damage the new paintwork when installing the spoiler. The rust may also be coming from the bolts in the spoiler so maybe put grease or something on them before installing the thing.

Good luck :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.