MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd document my experiences fitting a Dension Gateway 300 to my 2002 MCS. Kudos to Mikey at newministuff who's excellent instructions I followed and without which I would have been scratching my head.

The kit was delivered all nicely packaged, but sadly a day late. A curse on the post office. So on a sunny Tuesday evening (busy Monday) my screwdrivers and I got to work with hope in our hearts that nothing would break coming off and there would be no bits left over.

I downloaded the instructions from the DIY section on newministuff and printed them off. Follow them and you won't go too far wrong.

One thing the instructions don't give any clues about is where to route wiring or where to place the Dension unit. The new loom extension tucks in behind the radio nicely and there are a few convenient holes for channelling wires so I've put mine on the little shelf below the steering wheel and routed the wire out to that. No holes required.

A few thoughts, hints and tips:

I had one wire loose in the new loom that popped out as soon as I tried to clip them together. If this happens to you, don't use brute force to replace it. It feels difficult to relocate, but gentle wiggling with a pair of pliers and it clicked back in to where it should be.

A lot of the screws are "self tapping" into plastic. Don't over tighten them or you'll have a loose screw and a new rattle to amuse/annoy you.

Nothing needs forcing, if it isn't going in you've probably done something wrong. Take it off and try again

Everything goes together really nicely, it's a quality bit of kit, just like the car you're going to put it in.

I have an ipod classic and I nearly burst my eardrums when I turned it on and the distortion was horrible. So after checking I hadn't buggered it up I tried my sons nano. No prob at all. A couple of emails to Dension later I had some new firmware files that allow you to set the volume up and down by +/- 3db or +/-6db. It's still not perfect and I've asked them for some more assistance but it only appears to be a problem with my Classic.

Operationally, I'm still trying to get my head around disk and track selection to control the input source, playlist control etc but that's just me being a bit "hard of thinking"

Would I recommend it, and newministuff? Absolutely

Piccies here...

Picasa Web Albums - Stuart - Fitting the G...

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Same as myself, 'far to low for the price off it'.

I find mine stops playing and it a nightmare to get it playing again without pulling the plug out! Which isn't good for a long journey!

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
WHen I finally get a delivery from Dension this week (they have been closed while moving factory) I am going to set a 300 up to test for volume issues on USB.
Grim - if you give me your email I will mail you the volume files I have

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mikey

Dension actually sent me across a set for both v1 and then v2 after our PM exchange. No need to send them to me and I posted both on the forum under a separate thread. The v2 one worked.

If you're going to set one up and are using a classic or a touch, keep the volume down when you press play or you'll be in very real danger of needing some new speakers :)

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
64 Posts
I fitted a Dension Gateway 300 in order to gain a USB connection for my Creative Zen.

This didn’t work, so I added the Dension UPB1000 to supply additional power to the USB line, thinking that’d fix it.

Installation of the GW300 & UPB1000 was easy enough, although with that and a Parrot CK3100 it did involve some splicing and soldering.
It’s also a job to get the HU pushed back in with all that extra kit in there. (I think lengthening the aerial lead will ease that however.)

Anyway, turns out that the GW300 will only “talk” to MSC class USB devices, whereas the Creative Zen’s are MTP class devices.

So my GW300/UPB1000 is currently and expensive, idle loss.

MSC/MTP? Who goes to that degree of detail before installing any of this kit?

The Zen remains connected to an aux-in purchased from Newministuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts