MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says.... has anyone fitted one themselves?? if so what was involved? What parts did you have to buy? Diff Bearings, shaft seals?

I will be doing this very shortly but I cant find a diagram of the gearbox anywhere! Only the realoem comes close but is no better than BMWs diagram as it doesnt show anything inside the box. Anyone got a better one?

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
to be honest lohe are charging just 300 quid to fit a quaife diff at the moment so it seems mad to do it yourself but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone got the part numbers for the Diff bearings? my local dealer dont seem to have any details for anything inside the gearbox.

Also any of the seal part numbers?

SKF tapered roller bearing part #: LM501349

That does not include the outer race that is pressed into the flywheel housing or gearbox housing.

Jeremy

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
K-huevo inspired me to fit an ATB diff to my MCS. He's posted all kinds of superb how-tos btw. :smile:

It was fun times for me this spring! :D

MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - OBX ATB Diff, Clutch, and Cam

Jeremy
Awesome doing all this yourself mate, and props for finding the time to get hitched while your at it haha!! Congrats :D

I was thinking about going about the diff route when I had my clutch fitted but it came at such a bad time as my car funds were pretty much dry... I was saving up to do it all at a later date but it bit me about 8 months too early.

So is the OBX like the Quaife?

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
39 Posts
There's on pressed into the flywheel??

Edit : Or do you mean the cone for the tapered bearing?? When I look up that bearing there seems to 0.7700 or 0.8437inch width...

Edit 2: How about these: LM501349/501310 Trailer Bearings Trailer Bearings :: Bearings - Tapered Roller :: Bearings :: BearingBoys.co.uk
There's nothing pressed onto the flywheel.

I meant the outer race that the tappered rollers ride on.

Those are the right part numbers. I'll measure my stock diff bearings after work.

Jeremy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awesome doing all this yourself mate, and props for finding the time to get hitched while your at it haha!! Congrats :D

I was thinking about going about the diff route when I had my clutch fitted but it came at such a bad time as my car funds were pretty much dry... I was saving up to do it all at a later date but it bit me about 8 months too early.

So is the OBX like the Quaife?
Yeah it was a fun experience. My wife doesn't mind me tinkering away in the shop at all. :D

The OBX is a Quaife knock off. So far the OBX is performing well. :smile:

Jeremy

·
Registered
39 Posts
There's nothing pressed onto the flywheel.

I meant the outer race that the tappered rollers ride on.

Those are the right part numbers. I'll measure my stock diff bearings after work.

Jeremy
Stock differential bearings have an ID of 1 5/8" and a height of 3/4".

Jeremy

Reactions: MINI-Morgan

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just used the recommended stock transmission fluid. For sealant I used Permatex Ultra Black. Anaerobic sealant is another good option.

Jeremy

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just used the recommended stock transmission fluid. For sealant I used Permatex Ultra Black. Anaerobic sealant is another good option.

Jeremy
Thanks, dont suppose you remember what the recommended one is?? my local dealer is rubbish :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, dont suppose you remember what the recommended one is?? my local dealer is rubbish :(
K-huevo is right. MTF 94! It works just fine.

Jeremy

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Guys :) I have also been recommend 75W90 also but that might be to help keep the diff quiet. I'll have to phone up and see how much the MINI oil is but last time I talked to them they would only do it in 5+litres :(

Really thanks for all your help :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts