MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at various solutions to fitting additional gauges to my MCS but none of them seem completely satisfactory. Either they're fitted in the area around the cupholders and cigarette lighter or they seem to be placed in the centre heating vents. I'm not completely sold on either solution. And then there's the Promini "pods" which hang around the tachometer - at a price!

Has anybody fitted additional gauges to the A pillar? Are there any reasonably priced options? The Promini gauges are cool but SOOOO expensive....

Hope you guys can help out!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes they are. The MINI one's are $250 and 2 hours for labor (quoted by my dealer) and the Promini one is expensive as well. I haven't seen anything mounted on the A pillar but I assume it'd be pretty expensive as well. Alta makes a pod that looks like the Promini one but doesn't include the gauges. This way, you can find a gauges style and option that fits you. The Alta is still over $150 and the gauges will cost you a pretty penny as well. Any way you look at it, it's going to cost you. That's the main reason I haven't really considered getting any; that and the fact that everything except the MINI accessory and Promini (I assume) have to be wired/tubed into the engine bay to get their readings.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I went to Home Depot and bought a pc of Aluminum flat bar. Got out the trusty Dremel and cut my own bracket. Bent the ears on each end to a 90 degree bend and attached the two Auto Meter gauges mounted in Carbon Fiber pods. The bracket cost me 8 bucks and an hours labor. All I have to do now is get around to plumbing the gauges. Took 6 months to get around to mounting the gauges. :( Probably take another 6 months to get around to hooking them up. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
kapps said:
Nice. How do you plan on hooking them up? Are there any instructions online or is it just the Autometer instructions?

No instructions. :eek: Just a service manual to find sensor and vacumn/boost line. ;)

The factory oil pressure sensor is next to the oil filter. I plan on installing a "T" fitting with the sensor on one side and the gauge fitting on the other.

The boost gauge will tie in at a vacumn/boost line on the motor somewhere. If I have to, I may need to drill and tap the intake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Z1GZAG N
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing