MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me how to fit these to the car myself, what tools I require, and how long it takes?

How much would it cost for a mechanic to complete ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Cooper S Works said:
Can anybody tell me how to fit these to the car myself, what tools I require, and how long it takes?

How much would it cost for a mechanic to complete ?
See my latest post in this forum and maybe take your car down to GTT if you're not too far? Fitting coilovers is not easy the first time round :) (trust me!)

Henry

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
supercoopers said:
See my latest post in this forum and maybe take your car down to GTT if you're not too far? Fitting coilovers is not easy the first time round :) (trust me!)

Henry
GTT?

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
I keep seeing a lot of people going to coilovers for various reasons.
All well and good but how come nobody ever mentions that you really need to know what you're doing and have the ability to corner weight the car to set them up properly.
Pretty expensive bling just for bragging rights.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
obe Most people its true dont bother corner weighting ,I think in the real world (road use)you dont realy gain much unless your driving on an engineers surface table anyway. One of the main benefits is simply that you can set front & rear to exactly the height you want
and the relationship between the two. The other thing is these tend to be top of the range
for many makes and therefore hopefully feature some top of the range engineering & performance too. I dont see they can be bling as they are under the car after all, though the ants looking up under the car probably think your pretty cool, :cool: until you squash them that is. Regards Roland GT Tuning

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
roland2003 said:
obe Most people its true dont bother corner weighting ,I think in the real world (road use)you dont realy gain much unless your driving on an engineers surface table anyway. One of the main benefits is simply that you can set front & rear to exactly the height you want
and the relationship between the two. The other thing is these tend to be top of the range
for many makes and therefore hopefully feature some top of the range engineering & performance too. I dont see they can be bling as they are under the car after all, though the ants looking up under the car probably think your pretty cool, :cool: until you squash them that is. Regards Roland GT Tuning
Yes but an amateur job done poorly will unbalance the car. That's my point.
There's a lot of "Oooo looky at my cool coilovers" I did it myself.
Yet not much discussion about doing the job right.
If you're paying close to $1000 for something and don't take the time to get 100% from it then I just don't get it.

And my point is, this is information that should be part of the discussion.

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Concerns...

Concern 1: The fitment of the coil-over shocks may cause the car to become unbalanced.

By this, are you referring to the actual weight of the car after the removal of the OEM hardware, or are you drawing attention to the tuning aspect of the coil-over shocks?

I think that if the coil-over system is fitted correctly then there shoul dbe no derrogatory results. By fitting correctly I mean physically bolted to the vehicle correctly, each coil-overs height adjusted exactly, and if present then the pressure or rebound of each shock adjusted correctly - and for each attribute where appropriate, symetry.

Concern 2: The coil-over is seen as bling.

I think that if you have 18" wheels then seeing a coil-over (or whatever you can see of it) is really cool. They allow you to adjust the ride height perfectly and exactly, which is my requirement.

£1000 for good suspension seems cheap.

If MINI said "Racing spec suspension - extra £1000" then you'd bite their hand off. As the suspension is the motion controller between you and the road then i see this cost as insignificant when you already have a MCS JCW that costs £23k.

I am truly looking at the product as a functional pience of equipment and would like to know if I can fit the Bilstein PSS or PSS9's myself.

·
Yeah...I know !!!
1,159 Posts
Cooper S Works said:
Concern 1: The fitment of the coil-over shocks may cause the car to become unbalanced.

By this, are you referring to the actual weight of the car after the removal of the OEM hardware, or are you drawing attention to the tuning aspect of the coil-over shocks?

I think that if the coil-over system is fitted correctly then there shoul dbe no derrogatory results. By fitting correctly I mean physically bolted to the vehicle correctly, each coil-overs height adjusted exactly, and if present then the pressure or rebound of each shock adjusted correctly - and for each attribute where appropriate, symetry.

Concern 2: The coil-over is seen as bling.

I think that if you have 18" wheels then seeing a coil-over (or whatever you can see of it) is really cool. They allow you to adjust the ride height perfectly and exactly, which is my requirement.

£1000 for good suspension seems cheap.

If MINI said "Racing spec suspension - extra £1000" then you'd bite their hand off. As the suspension is the motion controller between you and the road then i see this cost as insignificant when you already have a MCS JCW that costs £23k.

I am truly looking at the product as a functional pience of equipment and would like to know if I can fit the Bilstein PSS or PSS9's myself.

Ive fitted my Spax RSX coilovers no problem (i also put on my big brake conversion too), i suppose it depends on how good you are with the tools but im no mechanic .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.