MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there,

I purchased KW Variant 1 coilovers on Thursday Just passed and received them on Friday.
Got them from Lohen and they sent me new droplinks and everything so highly recommend them, extremely good service and genuinely nice people.

Anyway my question is are they hard to fit??

One of my friends has fitted lowering springs before to his clio and I was wondering if the coilovers would be as hard to fit myself??

If anyone on here has done it themselves was it hard, can you explain to me what to do etc.

It is only because my usual mechanic is on Holiday and I can only get them fitted next Saturday.

Thanks everyone!:D

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i was poking around today before I went out this evening and I decided to leave it.
It is setting them up which is daunting then the camber as well.

Getting them fitted on Wednesday so pictures will follow on my other thread.:D

·
Registered
460 Posts
camber on a mini is something that is best left to someone who knows exactly what they are doing, better yet if the have a proper hunter system machine for active 4 wheel alignment fitting the coils is relativity easy, but not a good idea on your diveway as the only hard bit is the spring compressors which can be dangerous.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
camber on a mini is something that is best left to someone who knows exactly what they are doing, better yet if the have a proper hunter system machine for active 4 wheel alignment fitting the coils is relativity easy, but not a good idea on your diveway as the only hard bit is the spring compressors which can be dangerous.
omg I know about the spring compressors! they are scary, i have heard stories and seen pictures of damage they can do.

Getting it done on thursday :D

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
If you have done lowergin springs before, the coilovers should be easier as you are taking apart the original springs and shocks to fit them

However I believe the KW's reuse the original top mounts at the front so will mean some additional work their.

After fitting alignment can be done later just make sure nothing is ridiculously out before taking to alignment shop.

·
heavy foot = light wallet
453 Posts
you may well want some lower control arms to get rid of the camber on the back. i have a fair bit on mine but havnt got 300 coins for them at the mo. Hope the fitting today goes well!

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
£300!! What are they - gold plated?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have done lowergin springs before, the coilovers should be easier as you are taking apart the original springs and shocks to fit them

However I believe the KW's reuse the original top mounts at the front so will mean some additional work their.

After fitting alignment can be done later just make sure nothing is ridiculously out before taking to alignment shop.
they are fitted, front is almost right done still about 20mm travel and back still has 20mm travel left but is sitting sweet. Neeeded to space out the front wheels a bit for them to fit.

The front needs to settle now, lots of driving to be done.

I actually need new top mounts with bearings as the spring on the coilover twists slightly on full lock.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I'm intrested in the Control arms, just depends on when it happens as ideally wanted them same time as coilovers which will be at least end of this month if not longer

·
Registered
460 Posts
Damo, im going to open the group buy on here tomorrow as i have another one to open as well once 4 or 5 people get involved i will place an order and it would only take a week or so after that as i would give m7 a stock heads up

·
Registered
217 Posts
they are fitted, front is almost right done still about 20mm travel and back still has 20mm travel left but is sitting sweet. Neeeded to space out the front wheels a bit for them to fit.

The front needs to settle now, lots of driving to be done.

I actually need new top mounts with bearings as the spring on the coilover twists slightly on full lock.
Whats the ride and handling like now youve got these fitted?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whats the ride and handling like now youve got these fitted?
Handling- Amazing!! I have been rallying about since I got them on. They really are unbeleivable.

Ride is a bit bumpier but it is really good. I have hit the rear wheels off the arch a few times lol and bottomed out once and the front is still to go lower but not for two weeks as im going on holiday!

Going to have to learn how to drive a lowered car again, it was lowered before on springs and it took a bit getting used too what way to drive on roads, same thing now im lower again.

Loving it though

1 - 20 of 21 Posts