MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi managfes to get some s bumpers brand new from bmw dealer with side skirts and wana know how hard it is to fit? are there any instructions. i cant find any? Cheers
Ollie

·
World Record Holder!
5,545 Posts
Its a pretty easy job. See FAQ and guides. But 2 things to note. You will need a new set of clips for the side skirts (they break when u pull the old skirts off) & If u have front fog lights they need moving slightly cus the holes are in slightly different places.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers. which clips do i need and how many? i might get bmw do fit the skirts for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some dealers are a bit fussy when it comes to fitting S parts on Coopers - i know mine does...apparently they only do warrantied work.
A friend of mine recommended a mechanic mate of his, and i was able to borrow his garage for an afternoon.
I had my car up on the ramp (it was pretty cool) and replaced the front and sides myself with a little bit of help.

Anyway, for the side skirts replacement, you will need;

BM07.13.0.702.966
RIVET X 16

BM07.13.1.480.419
CLIP X 18

BM07.13.7.073.915
CLIP (WHITE) X 4

BM51.71.1.496.621
CLIP X 8

Please note that you can actually re-use some of your old clips (the ones with the flowery-head and hat...). :)
I replaced all my side-skirt clips at a cost of £10.34

·
Registered
78 Posts
rear bumper change

On the rear bumper you need to take the trim off the "S" bumper, and replace it with the trim from your cooper bumper (the sides and the middle) otherwise your exhaust will not fit. It just requires some pushing from the backside on the plastic tabs, and gentle pulling on the trim.

cheers, jason

I added a pic of my car for inspiration (which is for sale by the way!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
that is a sweet sweet ride jason...shame you're selling it! :eek:

i also got the rear S bumper , but alas didn't fit it....ordered the aero rear instead which is coming in 4-6 weeks! :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I cant have two

I hate to sell her too, that car is my pride and joy, but I have a new "S" on order, so one of them has to go.

thanks for the compliment.

cheers, jason

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help. One last thing how long would it all take to do?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I've done both of these conversions myself in two stages. I did the front and back cooper s bumpers on my ONE at Easter 2004 in about 4 hours all told. Did the exchange of the skirts in about 1 hour this Tuesday night just gone!! Really satisfying riping off the old ones! Look absolutely great I love them! Worth doing. Will take some photos soon when its washed and nicer weather.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
\\chrome// said:
. You will need a new set of clips for the side skirts (they break when u pull the old skirts off) .
You can actually avoid breaking the clips relatively easily by doing the following

All bar the very left and right clips move in the same direction - because the front and back move in opposite directions people tend to pull and hence break clips - by pulling back (or better still removing) the inner arch liners you will expose the front and back clips which with a pair of pliers can be removed - NOw the whole side sill moves backwards (needs a good firm push) leaving the original clips in position unbroken - Refit is reverse of fitting

G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Racer
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing