MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just in the process of fitting new rear pads and was just wondering what the best way of getting the brake cylinder back into place is?

On a previous car of mine we just pushed it back using something that would fit in the 4 holes but on the Mini will we need to bleed some of the fluid out?

Hope this makes sense?

James

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
it needs to be wound back using a special tool that fits in those four holes, this resets the handbrake mechanism.

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
The front calipers just squeeze back like any normal caliper, the rears, as I say, have to be wound back and pushed at the same time, you can make a tool to do it it you are any good at fabricating these things, but "piston wind back tools" are available from any tool stockists and range anywhere from £30 to £100.

·
Registered
48 Posts
sure I saw a post somewhere recently that suggested you can do the job with long nosed pliers, just turn a smidge and then push back and repeat until far enough back to change the pads. Might have been all guff mind you.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I came across this problem too - had to borrow the caliper tool from a local garage.

lilpee69er, give me a shout if you get stuck, and I'll see if I can borrow the tool again - it's from a garage in East Leake. Not sure if you'd be able to borrow it for long though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts