MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. tried doing these myself whilst tacking them down with masking tape, go from the center etc but just ended up with creased stretched vinyl.. I came to the conclusion I am pretty useless at this and even asked how much the stripes were to fit at the dealers.. but thought £244 was a little steap!

Just wondered if anyone has any tips on fitting stripes or if you got someone else to fit them who would do it.. not sure where to look for someone?!

Thanks

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
£244 to fit stripes? someones having a larf mate. i take it you mean bonnet stripes? £50 is the going rate to suply & fit them.

if you've managed to stretch the vinyl then i'd question the grade you're using, there's no way it should stretch, unless you're completely cack-handed ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hat said:
if you've managed to stretch the vinyl then i'd question the grade you're using, there's no way it should stretch, unless you're completely cack-handed ;)
Quite possibly!! ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
£244 to fit stripes

MiniMonkey said:
Hi.. tried doing these myself whilst tacking them down with masking tape, go from the center etc but just ended up with creased stretched vinyl.. I came to the conclusion I am pretty useless at this and even asked how much the stripes were to fit at the dealers.. but thought £244 was a little steap!

Just wondered if anyone has any tips on fitting stripes or if you got someone else to fit them who would do it.. not sure where to look for someone?!

Thanks
You must be joking !!!!!!!! (will supply and fit travel down to your neck of the woods and rob you at £44 ) :D :D :D :D :D

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
you have to apply them with soapy water on the bonnet and use a squeegy to squeeze out the bubbles! dont have soaps sud all over the bonnet tho, just slihtyly soapy! squeeze the bubble out from the centre working outwards and use a hair dryer to slightly heat the vinyl as u squeeze the bubbles out. make sure u leave the stripes to dry and tack for half an hour at least when u have applied them as they will just peel up in the wind otherwise. i have made it sound easy but believe me its not! i tried to do mine for the first time without any experience for the first time and it went horribly wrong! even if you think you are good at most things, believe me this is something that if you are doing it for the first time, u will be sure to get bubbles unless u are very patient! i have now done a few for my friends mini's now and i now no how to do it properly, but just get some help if you have never done it before! its because of the contours of the bonnet, its a bit more curvy than u think once you have got the vinyl down!

good luck

n04cm

·
Registered
295 Posts
NO...!!!!

Line them up, tack one end on the wiper area above the bonnet. Keep the tension on the stripe by pulling gently and slowly remove the backing paper from underneath.

Smooth the vinyl with a smooth see-sawing motion to eliminat bubbles and you should have no problems.

If you use soapy water, they will move around all over the place, they have adhesive for a reason...

Contrary to popular belief, the thinner and more conformable the material, the better it is...

The OEM Mini stripes, are quite possible the worst material known to man...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may just have to opt to get someone else to do them for me, other wise i will just end up wrapping vinyl round my head or something!! :D ..know anyone in the Leamington area anyone!?

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
Dont know anyone that does it there mate most large sign / vynal places do them thou shouldent cost more than £50 - £60 quid to fit tops mate

·
Registered
689 Posts
I fitted my stripes myself on Monday and got them from the local signwriter/vinyl cutting guy. How much you ask? They were just $8! Yes the equivilent of 4 pounds for two 3m bonnet stripes. :D

I fitted them myself which only took 20 minutes and they look fantastic! (still no photos).

For that price it didn't bother me if I buggered a few up but I didn't... With a bit of masking tape as a guide, a razor blade and a spray bottle of soapy water they look sensational!!! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
MiniMonkey said:
I may just have to opt to get someone else to do them for me, other wise i will just end up wrapping vinyl round my head or something!! :D ..know anyone in the Leamington area anyone!?
Hi MiniMonkey, I live in Leamington Spa.... I will have to look out for you in your car and make sure to flash if I do see you! :)

As for the pricing, it cost me £400 to have my Viper stripes fitted at the dealership I bought my car from. I know it's a rip off but to fit Viper's properley all the seals in the windows and other bits have to be removed and to get the stripes to line up properley on the roof is a work of art in its own right. As for bonnet stripes I can't see where the £200+ charge comes from. They surely can't be that hard to fit!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, i also work around leamington spa, i'm looking to have vipers fitted onto my Mini, is there somebody out there i can pay to do the job for me? I'll be no good more than likely!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi MiniMonkey, I live in Leamington Spa.... I will have to look out for you in your car and make sure to flash if I do see you! :)

As for the pricing, it cost me £400 to have my Viper stripes fitted at the dealership I bought my car from. I know it's a rip off but to fit Viper's properley all the seals in the windows and other bits have to be removed and to get the stripes to line up properley on the roof is a work of art in its own right. As for bonnet stripes I can't see where the £200+ charge comes from. They surely can't be that hard to fit!!!
I did my bonnet stripes in 20 minutes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts