MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just been hanving an arguement with some guys at work about the mini and the difference between the various models. :confused:

Would a cooper s supercharger fit a cooper or a one? as in one removed due to a works conversion as they are for salea on ebay all the time.

I know they bolt onto the side of the engine but how much other work would have to be done, apart from the pulley on the side of course.
Would you for instance have to have the bonnet scoop or double exhaust? what else would be needed?

Your thoughts please. (and yes i know it may just be easier to buy a cooper s, but could it be done?)

Cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am not sure if there is a difference but I would think that the non-supercharged models would have a higher compression ratio. I am planning to supercharge my classic Mini but my CR is 11:1 so I will have to change to lower deck height pistons to reduce the CR before I fit the blower. The ideal CR is 8:1 on the older engines, not sure what it is on the modern engines, though.

·
BMW Traitor
1,192 Posts
Not only has the S engine been extensively modified to handle the extra power, the engine bay design is different also. Like the battery box, and the airbox.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
compression ratio would need to be altered,intercooler, mapping would need to be re-done, for fuelling, due to a different manifold, which would also need to be purchased due to the supercharger, as it needs something to mount to. a different fanbelt would also be req, plus probabally different driveshafts, unless the ones are the same as the mcs, never come to me to look!!! lol. Also, remember, can the non-getrag gearbox cope for very long ;) tho its not as tho the charger is that beefy on the mcs. In simpleness, i would just buy a mcs, personally :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers all of you for backing me up!! i shall be printing this thread out and laugh in my collegues face!! ha ha.

Cheers all

·
Registered
19 Posts
Compression ratio would not NEED to be altered, but you'd need very careful and specific fuel tuning to make sure the cast pistons and rods didn't go bye-bye. I think stock boost is 10psi, I would definitely not exceed that without 100+ octane fuel and the car would never have anything below 93 in it, and when it did have 93, timing would be dialed way back.

As far as the transmission goes, there is no magic number at which a specific transmission will die, but it depends on how you drive the car. I run a stock transmission behind a 500hp engine in my 68 Mustang and have no problems.

The Cooper S drivetrain is overengineered as are most factory supercharged or turbocharged engines - look at people putting 900hp through a stock Supra bottom end or the same power through a stock 03-up Mustang Cobra bottom end. There are S's with nearly double the power they had stock driving around with no problems - I've even seen an S modified to put out around 250hp, and with nitrous on top of that!

I think that with proper fuel and ignition management the Cooper drivetrain could handle 200hp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
pspsps
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing