MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm addicted to the Whine
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Fitted the Induction Kit last night, bought an aftermarket Kit off ebay, fitted a dream, all i can say is wow! the whine and noise is amazing!!

There goes me trying to save fuel out of the window!

Mike

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
I would hope not - Failure to inform your insurance company of a modification could see your policy declared void by your insurer in the event of a claim.
Yeah I did know that, I was just worried that he hadnt told them!?!?!

Its cause I've got to phone mine and just wondered if it increased the charge by much??

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Just so you know an open induction kit on a Mini Cooper S will soak in heat from the engine bay. Even in warmish weather, let alone the current summer your intake air temperatures will be higher putting more strain on your engine and increasing the chances of it pinking/detting.

I'd put £20 on a back to back dyno test showing you that kit would lose power over the stock setup. The sound is nice but there are better ways to get the same thing and combined with other parts even help performance.

Enjoy :)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Agreed with Batou, I even noticed this on my old Cooper.... fitted a K&N open cone system, and it actually felt more sluggish than it did with the standard airbox.

In the end I switched back and ran the normal airbox with a better filter element. Now in my Cooper S, I'm again running the standard airbox but with an ITG filter.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
I thought the same as Batou, but not being an expert I kept my mouth shut.

Hence why that induction kit is £26 and I good one with heat shield is between £80-£200.

·
I'm addicted to the Whine
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought the same as Batou, but not being an expert I kept my mouth shut.

Hence why that induction kit is £26 and I good one with heat shield is between £80-£200.
I am in the process of making my own heatshield with our folding machine at work, just not got around to finishing it off yet, i agree that the current set up could be taking in more warm air than that of the standard but havent noticed a lack of power. Bearing in mind that the cold air feed for the original air box is still in place, Will post up some pictures once the heat shield is on.

Mike

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
If its open cone it will be sucking in warm air, no amount of heat shielding will prevent that unless you seal it off.

If your exhaust is popping more (like you say) and this is the only thing you have change then that could be a sign its running hotter as the engine will pull back ignition timing and dump more fuel in to protect the engine. More fuel = more pops. Personally I think your doing the engine no favors for longevity, it's a strong engine but it hates heat.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
If its open cone it will be sucking in warm air, no amount of heat shielding will prevent that unless you seal it off.

If your exhaust is popping more (like you say) and this is the only thing you have change then that could be a sign its running hotter as the engine will pull back ignition timing and dump more fuel in to protect the engine. More fuel = more pops. Personally I think your doing the engine no favors for longevity, it's a strong engine but it hates heat.
:aargh: EEEEKKKKK

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
Hi guys so the alta v2 that comes with the lid is that worth it or should i just keep my upgrded filter?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts