MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else seen the story in autocar today about a five door MINI hatchback that may be in the pipeline. Apparantly it is to be front wheel drive, but based on the 4x4 SAV's chassis in order to make that project more financially viable. Sounds like a good idea. The picture in the mag doesnt look too bad either.

I scanned the small one off the cover:

img960.jpg

Theres now an article on their website too foe anyone interested: Autocar - Mini's future has five doors

Thoughts?

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
Surely it going to be simular to the clubman

Totally agree with you alex

I personally think that the mini should be the shape that the two door is & another name for the clubman & the new one as its not mini!!

I think i will stick with my mcs

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Its ok being critical about it, and yes its just an artist sketch, but we need to be realistic. Surely you can see it happening though, MINI is a brand, not just a car anymore, so they need to have a 5 door in the range to be competitive against the market;)

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
I just hope (as per that artists impression) they are not planning the Crossman to have TWO Club doors? :eek:

I've said before - if Toyota/Peugeot/Citroen can manage to get 4 conventional doors on a little car like the Aygo/107/C1, I struggle to understand why MINI's brilliant engineers can't......and I don't buy the argument that it's to do with relocating the fuel filler - surely the Club Door is a more expensive piece of engineering?

Ian

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Are those the successors to the Bullet spokes?!? I'd have them on a MINI!;)

·
I LOVERMONT
5 Posts
I believe that's the "rumored" MINI SUV - read about such in Car & Driver or Automobile, supposed to be at a show this fall... the whole idea's kinda ridiculous if you ask me, but, I guess if they can sell 'em...

·
vroom, vroom!
385 Posts
I got offered a automatic Princess, think it was 2 litre for free once. I declined. It was the same colour as above (bronze)

·
MINI on the brain!!!
1,510 Posts
What will they think of next???!! :D

·
I'm avin 'oops
1,225 Posts
as has been stated they have to at least say they are going to do these things to stay competitive

part of the problem with minis is that the demogrpahic for owners tends to be singles or couples

Think we all agree that even though there are back seats if you are tall (like me - am 6 foot) you cannot have a passenger behind you and drive comfortably

Suspect this is just a clubman with 2 club doors but it begs the question of the filler cap and tank etc if they can do this now why couldnt they on teh clubman ie have the club door on either side!!!

Slightly longer wheelbase also I imagine which I would image will put it up against the 1 series BMW

Quote from article
To this end, insiders say that if the Mini SAV proves a success, the two-wheel-drive ‘Mini Maxi’ hatch could be launched by 2012.
Maxi mentioned again and it is a while away so are we talking pipe dreams

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well they're bound to design-out criticisms of earlier models so the Clubdoor is an obvious area for improvement. Maybe the fuel filler cap has been moved to under the bonnet in a old Beetle type way NOT! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts