quite badly and I'll like to send the fix details
to my dealer.

Thanks in advance,

Skip

·
Registered
84 Posts
No Fix

There is currently no fix for left pulling vehicles. BMW have previously used replacement front struts / springs to solve the problem, and replacement rear subframes. However, they have either failed to fix the issue, or only had minimal impact.

I believe that the current view from BMW is that both these solutions are now withdrawn, and there are reports of a fix being available in March.

However, BMW are still publicly describing the problem as camber drift. But no one (that I've seen) has had any response to the question as to why some MINIs are capable of climbing a right hand camber - you might like to establish whether your MINI does this, or will quite happily go just as violently to the right...

In the meantime register your complaint with the dealer in writing. Ask to see the service manager, and have them test drive the car. This, along with eleven other complaints resulted in me being offered a replacement MINI - and I'm not the only one.

Try doing a search on the words "left", "blak-hak", "Apial"... Not necessarily all at once though!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: No Fix

blak-hak said:
There is currently no fix for left pulling vehicles. BMW have previously used replacement front struts / springs to solve the problem, and replacement rear subframes. However, they have either failed to fix the issue, or only had minimal impact.

I believe that the current view from BMW is that both these solutions are now withdrawn, and there are reports of a fix being available in March.

However, BMW are still publicly describing the problem as camber drift. But no one (that I've seen) has had any response to the question as to why some MINIs are capable of climbing a right hand camber - you might like to establish whether your MINI does this, or will quite happily go just as violently to the right...

In the meantime register your complaint with the dealer in writing. Ask to see the service manager, and have them test drive the car. This, along with eleven other complaints resulted in me being offered a replacement MINI - and I'm not the only one.
Try doing a search on the words "left", "blak-hak", "Apial"... Not necessarily all at once though!
Climbs a right quite nicely, thank you ;)
I sent a letter off today, we'll see how they respond.

Thanks,

Skip

·
Registered
41 Posts
left thingy!!!

It might also help to notify MINI customer services that you have informed your dealer of the problem, send them all the relevant details includind the car Reg number.:)

·
Tinkering In The Garage
2,169 Posts
Left Pulling
i have been told that BMW knows what this is now, apparently they have taken a car to maclaren for tests and what has been found is that the springs are turning in the spring cups mounted on the struts. This has the effect os slightly changing the alignment os the wheel causing it to drift. the fix is likely to be a stop to prevents the spring moving.
Ady (R50)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Ady,
Thanks for your comments. I heard something similar a few months ago. Surely if this was all it was they would have released some sort of statement by now. When did you get this information?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
The new bottom spring pads were supposed to stop the spring rotation. Well if they did then its had no effect on the left pull/drift problem. Anyway this fix has been abandoned only last week.

My MINI is getting worse. KDS helped, but not the suspension struts replacement. This has only led to even more trouble.

I am due for a new set of top strut mounts. This is due to banging whilst going over indentations and squeaking when turning right. Dealer thinks that they may also improve the steering when changed as they are part of the self-centering mechanism. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyone else had the top mounts changed?

Sometimes I forget I'm supposed to be the owner of a new car. Am I dreaming or what??:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apial said:
The new bottom spring pads were supposed to stop the spring rotation. Well if they did then its had no effect on the left pull/drift problem. Anyway this fix has been abandoned only last week.

My MINI is getting worse. KDS helped, but not the suspension struts replacement. This has only led to even more trouble.

I am due for a new set of top strut mounts. This is due to banging whilst going over indentations and squeaking when turning right. Dealer thinks that they may also improve the steering when changed as they are part of the self-centering mechanism. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyone else had the top mounts changed?

Sometimes I forget I'm supposed to be the owner of a new car. Am I dreaming or what??:(
KDS now scheduled for week 1 feb. The mail I got from my dealer:

In effect this is a known problem. BMW advise to solve the problem in two steps:

1. KDS test and adjusting if necessary.

if the problem still exists:

2. it's foreseen to change the springs (new springs not available by
now.

What date would suit to you for point 1 ?? (starting 1st week february)

so is MINI now saying it's a know problem ?

BTW, this car is so much fun to drive anyway.

Skip

·
Registered
546 Posts
KDS Alignment & adjustment

Silver and Black said:
Skip,
where does your car have to go for the tests?
Surely not back to the oxford plant?
As I understand it, most (if not all) BMW dealers have the KDS alignment kit on site. They should be able to do the checks and make adjustments - assuming there is some relevant adjustment available.

Any one know if the castor angles can be adjusted on the MINI?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry, BMW, but I don't buy the "rotating springs" theory. The springs are under compression and it shouldn't make a dime's worth of difference in the alignment if they rotate. Besides, if the springs rotated, then doesn't it follow that the degree of pull would change as they turned? I suspect it is a fault in the power steering rack, but it could also be a dragging brake pad or even a fault in the transaxle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the pull to the left sydrome and my car goes back to garage in 2 days to have the springs replaced. i was told that this was the recommended fix. I also have a locked solid passenger seat and just developed a noisy electric window. Still can't help loving this car though

·
Registered
546 Posts
Get the KDS printouts if you can

If your car is about to have the KDS checks and some replacement bits, please see if the dealer will give you copies of the KDS printouts. Preferably, before and after the changes. If we get a few examples and can look at the data, we should get an idea of what they think is causing the pull.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ricardo, not sure if (or what) the "KDS" test is - please advise. Far as I know they are just replacing the front springs. I will ask service manager for said data though

·
Registered
577 Posts
KDS is an expensive, computerized four-wheel alignment machine, capable of an accuracy of 1/100th of a degree. It is a bit of a concern that if the MINI is that sensitive to an alignment setting, could one pothole knock it out of whack again?

·
Registered
546 Posts
KDS

KDS is the BMW 4 wheel alignment system. Dealers normally use this to (try to) diagnose the cause of suspension/alignment/handling issues. Shows vehicle's caster, camber, toe-in, included angle, thrust line etc.

It may be that they don't bother to re-test after fitting new components. However, since the MINI seems to be so sensitive to slight variations from spec, I would have thought they do. Someone else who's been through this will know (Apial?).

Basically, if the dealer DOES do this check, try to get a copy of the results. If we can get data from several cars with the left-pull syndrome, then a common pattern may be noticed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts