MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 S. Changed rear pads at 29k miles to EBC redstuff. Now on 36k miles. MOT said 9% difference in rear brake force. Checked disc thicknesses. 8.75mm rear right. 9.3mm rear left. When I changed them last year wear was even. I was careful about installation, cleaned and lubed sliders and copperslipped rear of pads. Pistons seemed to move back OK and couldnt see any problems with piston seals or corrosion / crap build up.

I am guessing problem is sticking rear caliper as this seems to be a common problem. Or could it be seized handbrake cable? Car rolls back when you release brake so it cant be sticking that much.

If caliper is sticking what is the fix? Do you have to buy new caliper or can you strip it, clean piston, lube and reassemble with new seals???? Do you just clamp brake lines if you do this?

Will replace discs and pads at same time (GTT ones).

Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know it's a couple of months late but i've had the same problem on my Cooper.
Just had it all apart today and found water has found its way inside the handbrake cable rotting it.
The cable was rusted so bad several strands had snapped and it will not slide smoothly back and forwards. This caused the handbrake on one caliper to seize on.
New cable is £24 and doesn't look too bad to change over.
Could be the same problem on yours?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts