MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is what happened.

Was driving home last night from Stanmore down a road called Marsh Lane for those in the know. It's a 30 limit. Was driving pretty much on the limit and a fox ran in the road and froze in my lane. I swerved to avoid it by going in the other lane where the speed camera was and the bl**dy thing flashed.

The question is what are they going to do when the see me on the wrong side of the road speeding!?

J

·
Registered
765 Posts
moonshine said:
i guess you will be ok, as far as i know, Gatsos are only type aproved for taking rear facing pictures. Check out www.speedtrapbible.co.uk for additional info.

Gerry
I think you're right, although here in Newcastle these new ones have appeared that are on the left hand side of the road and face towards you so they get you from the front.

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
thin u should b ok jason.

Like andy say's, theirs these new fangled contraptions up wor neck of the woods. The ones on the coast road, and after cradlewell bypass aye? Not sure if thier active yet like...seen a mobile van with the blacked out windows about 4 times in the past week, at the same place as these cameras.

·
Registered
440 Posts
andyupnorth said:
I think you're right, although here in Newcastle these new ones have appeared that are on the left hand side of the road and face towards you so they get you from the front.
Truvelo's they're called, work on infrared........I've not seen them in Newcastle yet though, I'd better watch out for them.

It wont be long before every road in the country is monitored by SPECS cameras - there's no escape from these as they work out your average speed between at least two locations, so you HAVE to drive the speed limit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some new Gatsos do work on both sides of the road. For you to be flashed at unfortunately you were speeding.

However, it is not an offence to drive on the opposite side of the road if there is no one there. You can take a bend on the other side if you like as long as you have a clear view and nothing is coming (obviously!), and as long as there are no solid white lines.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
marrsbar said:
Truvelo's they're called, work on infrared........I've not seen them in Newcastle yet though, I'd better watch out for them.

It wont be long before every road in the country is monitored by SPECS cameras - there's no escape from these as they work out your average speed between at least two locations, so you HAVE to drive the speed limit.
Truvelos don't work on Infra red. They are activated by measuring the time it takes for first wheel to travel between 2 piezo strips.
The red lens is simply a Flash which wont blind the driver when activated. I unfortunately was caught on 1 of these. They are only detectable by GPS unit and not Radar/Laser.
Unfortunately Jason is if there was Calibration strips on the road then your speed will simply be measured i think with a "-" in front. Say -38, this means the target was approaching the camera and can still be used in Court etc.
Hopefully there were no film in the camera.

·
Diesel Powered
290 Posts
Not sure if the rules have changed but the problems the police have with photographing the rear of the vehicle is they cannot prove for certain who was actually driving at the time, which is why they started taking photos from the front, to give them a picture of the driver's face too. The problem then was that they started getting lots of photos of grinning warp speed bikers but not their numberplates. So if they can see your face & numberplate on the picture AND they can prove your speed (graduations on the bit you're on) AND decide to prosecute then they can. You wouldn't be able to argue the speed, but you would be able to prove that you were in full control and alert because at that very moment you were, very skillfully, avoiding an accident. Good luck!

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
i was driving up a dual carriage way once on the correct side of the road and got flashed by a camera on the other side, nothing ever came of it, and i think you are safe on this occassion too... despite the comical picture.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Depends on the camera as mentioned before if it was a Gatso you should be ok I have a mate who used to deliberatly speed past a camara on the wrong side of the road every day for ages and never heard anything :D but watch out police often now put camera vans near fixed cameras to catch people (most of us) who floor it after passing one slowly. Its only taken them about 15 years to realise people do this :p .

·
The King of Bling
148 Posts
interceptor said:
Truvelos don't work on Infra red. They are activated by measuring the time it takes for first wheel to travel between 2 piezo strips.
The red lens is simply a Flash which wont blind the driver when activated. I unfortunately was caught on 1 of these. They are only detectable by GPS unit and not Radar/Laser.
Unfortunately Jason is if there was Calibration strips on the road then your speed will simply be measured i think with a "-" in front. Say -38, this means the target was approaching the camera and can still be used in Court etc.
Hopefully there were no film in the camera.
They still flash and it's a really weird flash when it happens. It kinda shocked me but I wasn't bothered because I knew it didn't flash me. :D

Although I was worried a few weeks back because I was travelling past this camera on a spot of road I do every day. They had roadworks up on the other side and I was day dreaming; why have they put roadworks up? Went through the camera at 34mph, nothing came of it. Guess I was lucky. :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.