MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve got a Cooper with no alarm and I want to fit a flashing LED in lieu of one of the blanking plates on the switch housing under the heater controls. Any ideas how to remove the switch pack.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Doesnt the radio have a flashing red light?

BMW steroes have this.

Dave

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the radio hasn`t got a flashing LED, why they didn`t put one on the car in the first place is beyond me, it is still imobilised so why no LED.

Yeah, I intend to put it where the blanking plug for the traction control switch would go and hace it switched so when the ignition is switched off power would go to the LED

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I would like to fit a flashing light also and was thinking of putting it on top of the dashboard (there is a small circular blanking plate in the middle of the windscreen air vents)

How are you planning to wire this up? Do you know if it is possible to make it flash as soon as the engine is turned off? (i.e. without having to add another switch to activate it)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I`m pretty good at electrics having fitted loads of ICE and Alarms etc. so it will just be a matter of getting a test meter to find a live feed when the ignition is switched off. I intend to try in the next couple of weeks so I`ll post the results.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I know it\'s only been a week, but any luck with finding a wire for the LED yet, MN?

·
Registered
577 Posts
This should be a no-brainer. All you need is a 12V source that is hot all the time, such as the cigarette lighter, dome lamp, etc. Then you need a 12V source that is only on when the ignition is on, such as the fan, wipers, radio, etc. The common can be any screw in the chassis. A couple of transistors can be wired so when the 12V is present when the ignition is on, the LED is shut off. When the ignition is off, the LED goes on. Flashing LEDs are available at Radio Shack (Tandy) and other places. I can draw you a simple schematic and scan it if that would help. [email protected]

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I am a bit poor at physics and would be very grateful of a circuit diagram for this...!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven`t got round to doing it yet, but most car there should be a feed which is live only when the ignition is switched off. No need for a wiring diagram fairly simple.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Monsta, if you e-mail me, I\'ll e-mail you a simple schematic. Two cheap transistors, four resistors and a blinking LED. You can probably tap into the fuse box to find the voltages. (Just pull up one end of the fuse, stick the wire under it and snap it down.) My e-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
189 Posts
Flashing LED fitted

Hi I fitted a dummy alarm system from Halfords (£9.99)to my Cooper at the weekend.
I sited the fl. LED within the circular blank between the windscreen air vents.
The system is simply an LED and wires leading to a battery box, you get 2 dummy ultrasonic sensors that you can fit on the A pillar.-- I used adhesive velcro as I didn't want to disfigure the pillars by using screws.
BIG TIP : once you have removed the circular blank insert a guitar string into the hole and slide it down and wiggle it about (oo er! ) until it appears somewhere under the steering column once located tie the LED to it and pull the string back through the hole and the wiring to the battery box will follow, secure LED into 5 mm hole that you have to drill in the blank and secure battery box under dash with double sided st. tape or adhesive velcro.
The LED looks like a factory fit but of course only works if you remember to switch it on!!Mike

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
There must be a better way

I would prefer not to have to install a switch into my MINI, someone must know where there is a 12v feed which is only live when the ignition is off...!!

:confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Old thread, but am picking up new mini in a couple of weeks and dealer has said they will install dummy alarm LED for me if I provide it. Mucking about with electrics not my bag, so does anyone know where I can pick up a ready to go kit in the UK (called Halfords but received little help) which the dealer can connect to a 12V source (not keen on one which needs a switch and separate battery)?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
If you can't find at Halfords, perhaps some of the smaller car shops. Or Radio Shack or even some of the places that fit car alarms might be willing to sell you the LED alone?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Halfords do have a dummy alarm, £10.99 sensors, LED and batteries incl.
Great place for the LED is the blank in the dash just below the screen,
I'm sure I've posted my tips on fitting it.
Halfords also are selling off at half price an alloy CD holder( holds 10 CDs) which if you stick a Mini transfer on the lid looks like a factory accesory.Yes I'm that sad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Found it - speeding.co.uk sell a kit complete with instructions which can be attached to a 12V source for £4.99. No separate battery or switch needed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
my clifford alarm has the led and valet switch mounted next to the mirror adjust ment swith, its looks completely factory fitted,

also at night it refelcts up on all the windows flashing as a dot and u can tell the car is alarmed,

email me for pics

Tom

1 - 20 of 33 Posts