MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen, or even purchased, a MINI in one of the new 'flip' paint colours that are available in the UK (not sure if they are worldside or just local to us) as I am thinking about changing my MOC for an S and would like to see what these colours actually look like when on a car and not just from the small sample in the show room. I am thinking of having a Volcano S!

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70485

Paul, I also asked about these colours a couple of months back having never seen one!! Have attached the thread as a few people ahd info etc. on the flip colours. Would still be really interested to see pictures of Mini's in these colours. Think the general consensus on the colours was that no dealers had sold any flip colours.

jules

·
Is it just me, or...?
546 Posts
I think these new paints are the biggest rip-off on the MINI options list.

My dealer asked if I wanted one for 3,000 extra - erm, no thanks. Apparently it isn't done in manufacture at Oxford, but you have to order the car in black (not white?!), and the dealer sends it for a respray (don't know where).

It is very nice paint, but you I'm sure you could get the same job done for half the price at an independent body-shop. If you've ever seen some of the custom paints from the USA such as 'House of Kolor', these are just as good (and often better). I'm sure it would invalidate the official MINI paint warranty, but this has to be better value?

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
mmmmdonuts said:
haven't seen it. They said the total price was £35000! had every extra going.
As much as I love my MC and happily paid around £15,000 and will be paying enarly £19,000 for my MCS due next year - £35,000??????????????? That is just getting silly!!! I have been told that most dealers say that on extras other than chilli pack, air con and CD player the residuals are next to nothing. I wonder what a £35,000 MCS would be worth second hand after a year or so?

·
Registered
440 Posts
wildchild jules said:
I wonder what a £35,000 MCS would be worth second hand after a year or so?
Well put it this way, my £14,250 04 plate well specced ONE is now only worth £10,500. My MCC (that I pick up tomorrow !! WOOHOO) is costing just over 20k. The extras don't hold any value. I've learned the hard way. I'll be keeping my MCC for 5 years just to make sure I get my monies worth!

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
when i was in for a chat with my dealer, he said he was discouraging people from going for the flips when i asked about them. he said he wasnt happy about stripping a brand new car and respraying it, and i suppose that's quite sensible really, and i reckon that probbaly adds to the price. It would be a different story if it was coming straight out of the factory like that- actually now that I think about it, is it not a bit strange that they aren't doing it directly at the factory? do they realise that this paint wouldn't be as chip resistant and as easy to keep as 'normal, standard' ones? if it was a factory option (and it didnt cost as much, and i didnt already love my ds to bits), i would definitely consider it- think they look class! Not at that price though...

G

·
cardiff mini have an MCS up for sale with the flip paint. If you want a look it is the one up for £19995 that says it's colour is black2.

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
I was driving through Brighton / Hove a couple of weeks ago & noticed a MCC parked at the side of the road - it was painted with one of the new flip colours (think it was either Python (turquoise/blue/violet) or Vulcano (gold/copper/red) - can't remember :confused: - it was a 54 reg & looked amazing though. If anyone know's who's it is, please post some pics! ;)

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
mmmmdonuts said:
cardiff mini have an MCS up for sale with the flip paint. If you want a look it is the one up for £19995 that says it's colour is black2.

That's the first mini I have seen in a flip colour - not seen any in the flesh and that's the first photo.

Whilst it looks different still don't think it's worth £4,500.

Was told by a dealer they are discouraging people from buying them as if you need any bodywork done it would involve a total respray - nice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.