MINI Cooper Forum banner

Fog Lights

940 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  moorlockx 
#1 ·
Can you change the bulb in the fog lights to say mayeb a driving light bulb which are legal to use while driving as i think the mini looks so good with the fogs on but you cant use them as its illegal unless there is very thinck fog :(

any answers will be appreicated

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Phrozen said:
Can you change the bulb in the fog lights to say mayeb a driving light bulb which are legal to use while driving as i think the mini looks so good with the fogs on but you cant use them as its illegal unless there is very thinck fog :(

any answers will be appreicated

Thanks
They would be next to useless as driving lights and would only be for show. They would be mounted too low to work properly.
The switch would also be wrong as well. Driving lights would be on with your low beams. Which is the normal and correct function for fog lights but not right for DLs.
DLs are meant to be on with high beams.
For me personally there's not much more that can pi$$ me off than somebody driving around with super bright driving lights on when they're totally unnecessary and basically being a road hazard.
I'd like to have $5 for every pinhead that has blinded me on well lit city streets because they think driving around with DLs on is manly or whatever.

Sorry for the rant.

#3 ·
Changing the bulb won't make the difference you are asking for. Fog Lamps have a short wide beam pattern whereas Driving Lamps have more of a "pencil beam" that reaches beyond the range of high beams. The difference is in the design of the reflector and lens, not the bulb.

Hope that helps,

Rawhyde

#4 ·
>>>The difference is in the design of the reflector and lens, not the bulb.<<<<

Actually the only difference is the lens. The way the glass is cut determines what pattern the lights will throw.

I'll agree with Obehave, seeing someone running their fogs or DLs, when they aren't necessary, just makes me want to follow them home and take a hammer to their lights.:mad: :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.