MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a way to rewire or tap the fog lights so they act as DRLs? Or have them come on with the headlights at night? (yes, i understand the use of foglights)

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
dont really know mate. probly is. but being honest dont really think its a great idea. not too nice for people driving towards you

·
cristo
2,839 Posts
I've seen a lot of emotional posts against using the front fog lights in non-foggy conditions,
but truth be told, the MINI front fogs sit low and are aimed low and don't really blind oncoming
traffic very much. On the other hand, they don't make very effective DRLs for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've seen a lot of emotional posts against using the front fog lights in non-foggy conditions,
but truth be told, the MINI front fogs sit low and are aimed low and don't really blind oncoming
traffic very much. On the other hand, they don't make very effective DRLs for the same reason.
ALL fog lights aim low..............that's the whole point of them, otherwise they'd be crap fog lights with too much glare coming back at the driver:rolleyes:

ALL use of foglights in non foggy conditions is dangerous to on coming traffic, especially in the wet.

'Oh i've got a car with front fogs therefore i must use them, as they look cool' attitude.

Rant over:D

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Does anyone know of a way to rewire or tap the fog lights so they act as DRLs? Or have them come on with the headlights at night? (yes, i understand the use of foglights)

From the posts above, I doubt that you are going to find the answer that you are looking for. Besides, I am willing to bet that doing this is against the law in your state. Most states don't allow for this but it is seldom enforced. Could it be done? Perhaps, but you will have to find someone that is willing to do it.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
if its like the Uk out there you will not be allowed to do it due to brightness and positioning of the lights.

in the uk there are measurements or zones where you can place certain lights. Ie headlights have to be a certain distance form the edge of the bodywork, then foglights can only be at a certain height etc etc. Also the way they are operated.

Best solution i can see is to add an LED sidelight bulb that comes on with the sidelights and locate that bulb in the foglight area. i have seent his done a few times. The LEDS are more than bright enough, yet not so bright that they could be used to emit enough light to dazzle or confuse oncoming traffic.

I am a person who drives around during the day with sidelights on all the time, as you cans ee my LED sidelights during the day and Volvo proved its rather safe a fair few years ago

1 - 11 of 11 Posts