MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to upgade my front speakers. I plan to upgrade to quite a high grade - with the emphasis on sound quality, not volume.

I am looking at:
MB Quart Reference series (RSD213)
Kenwood PSR Series 50P
Infinity Kappa 50.3cs

I will be running them off an Alpine top grade Head Unit and Kenwood 75W (35W rms) amp.

Does anyone have experience of these or can recommend something similar? :confused:

Ta

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I haven't heard any complaints about the infinities, and haven't heard anything about the other two! Try looking out for some Focal's too... dunno if they do 5.25" though...

Dom

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

I have found some reviews.

The Kenwoods are not well regarded.

The MB Quarts seem to be generally highly praised, especially in the US.

Infinities are normally found to be pretty good but this model is not reviewed.

Went for the Quarts - good deal at http:/www.caraudiodirect.com

Hope they fit OK.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Have a word with Zooooom because he owns a Car Audio Place up in Scotland so see what he says :D

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
smiffy said:
Have a word with Zooooom because he owns a Car Audio Place up in Scotland so see what he says :D
ah.... do you think he'll do MINI2 discount mail order???

hint hint ;)

Dom - who doesn't mind sticking an advertising sticker in for a discount! lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MB Quarts Finally Fitted

It stopped raining for long enough today for me to install the MB Quart Components for the front.

I followed the advice of an earlier Member who posted detailed instructions, including the cannibalisation of the existing lower speakers to form a mounting adapter for the new 5.25" main drivers.

The Quarts came with several different mounting adapters for both the Woofer and Tweeter, so I had no problem once I had worked-out which ones were best.

I have never wired-up a component set with a separate cross-over before, but there was plenty of space next to the Woofer for the cross-over unit and the wiring was pretty straight forward.

Usual story - first conversion took about three hours with plenty of trial fitting of this and that. The second took less than an hour.

The end result is a much more refined and detailed sound - a lot more music coming from the tweeters where it really counts. The Mid range is very natural. The Bass is much tighter than the standard MINI items. Initially it sounds less impressive in the bass, but then you realise that its all much better controlled and musical.

The Quarts are a couple of dB quieter (90 dB/W) than the standard units so I have to front bias the fader on the head unit to compensate. I may decide to amp-them-up, but will live with them for a week or so and then decide.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts