MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL,

so i have just signed for a 07 MCS turbo :) super stoked, here in my country its killer expensive, was tossing between this or a golf r32 or vauxhall opc.

I want to get the forge BOV/spacer as i want that "pshhhhh" sound. But my mini dealer said i cant install it as it will void motorplan etc. NOW my question is will the dealer pick it up,if i install it then remove it when the car goes in for services? i heard the key has a chip in it that will tell them if i tampered with it. Secondly any issues/problems with forge on the cooper s?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Shadow1,
Welcome to MINI2.

If you are really after the psssssh sound, plus the added bonus of some added power, you could look at fitting a cold air intake (CAI) Alta make one - there is a bunch of threads on here that go into detail regarding CAI's and the alta one in particular. I myself had the alta CAI on (took about half an hour to put on), and last week I dropped my MCS into the dealer to get a JCW tuning kit fitted.... Before dropping it in I swapped the filters over (20 min job when you know what youre doing) and the dealer didnt blink any eyelid... Even if they did find out it is really just a way to get more clean air into your engine... which is a good thing :D (you can now have a use for that scoop in your bonnet when you open it up!)

The spacer that Forge supply will do the trick too - it might even be tougher to swap over and may not give you the added power?

Just read your post again... I am pretty sure that the dealer will have no way of finding out (if youre careful while fitting obviously). I think with each service they re-set the ecu so that post service the ecu needs to "re-learn" how best to perform.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Ive had the Forge BOV on my S for 4 months now, its been into the dealers once and they never said anything about it.
It took me about 30 min to fit it, and can easily be removed if you wish to before taking yours in to the garage.

As for resetting the ECU if you take your car in for a service, ive never heard of them doing taht before..:confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ive had the Forge BOV on my S for 4 months now, its been into the dealers once and they never said anything about it.
It took me about 30 min to fit it, and can easily be removed if you wish to before taking yours in to the garage.

As for resetting the ECU if you take your car in for a service, ive never heard of them doing taht before..:confused:
Once they change oil, filter, spark plugs etc dont they reset it for the engine to "re-learn" things like fuel mix? Recently got the JCW tuning kit installed - the dealer mentioned to me that when changes are made it is reset? Maybe not on every standard service - with the JCW I will apparently be hit up for new spark plugs each oil / filter change? Maybe that was jsut the excuse for a few extra line items on the BMW service forms :rolleyes:

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Once they change oil, filter, spark plugs etc dont they reset it for the engine to "re-learn" things like fuel mix? Recently got the JCW tuning kit installed - the dealer mentioned to me that when changes are made it is reset? Maybe not on every standard service - with the JCW I will apparently be hit up for new spark plugs each oil / filter change? Maybe that was jsut the excuse for a few extra line items on the BMW service forms :rolleyes:
Oh rite, in that case they would have reset your ecu, because thats part of the JCW Tuning Kit upgrade, im pretty sure on a standard service they never touch it..

·
Registered
187 Posts
err - we are a bit off track from the original post. I think we answered it in "no" the dealer wont know if youre careful. (ie if you dont put something back on correctly it might look a little obvious :p)

With the JCW kit there was a change to the software of the ecu (with the new components plus some additional "magic" that BMW invested in regarding teh engine management software). My thinking was that when the stock got serviced the ecu was "cleared" back to default (ie JCW default may be different to stock default?)

Might need to have a bit of a look around further to clarify... now im confused :S

R

·
0 Posts
And i wouldnt believe everything BMW tell you

Definetly not for standard cars - maybe the JCW has different schedules for service and maintenance etc....who knows all i know is this :

I have the P-torque ecu upgrade and forge BOV on my car and was just in recently for a full service plus lots of niggly bits like my key not starting my car randomly and some ecu fault codes coming up when the car is perfect and this has happened before i had P-torque and BOV fitted and back then all they did was reset the ECU so im assuming they also reset ECU during this service and great news is i still have my lovely P-torque power :) .

I did remove the BOV before service as after all it takes 30 mins max with the right tools (it is a bit tight - so she said ;) ) and so you may aswell remove anytime you have warranty work to be carried out as then it gives BMW nothing to moan about.

I used to own one of the first mini ones in this country back in 2001. Superchips eventually released a 30-40bhp chip to boost the sappy standard 90bhp up to more suitable levels. Everyone and their neighbour had an opinion about what would happen warranty wise - everyone except those who owned the cars and those who made the software... I had that car for near 2 years modified with all sort such as cams etc and never once did BMW mention or hint at it being modded. Point im making is unless you do something that destroys your car i doubt BMW will make too much a noise, if you changed the turbo for instance im sure they would never touch your car again but a BOV? LOL give me a break remove it before you go or leave it on and most likely they wont notice it UNLESS you have upped the power/boost etc and possible a mechanic will notice the extra noise?

Mike

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Im actually thinking of removing my Forge BOV, as i installed it before the Milteck went on and love the sound of the exhaust. Sometimes the Forge is too much hissin all the time ..

R

·
0 Posts
Im actually thinking of removing my Forge BOV, as i installed it before the Milteck went on and love the sound of the exhaust. Sometimes the Forge is too much hissin all the time ..
Im still saving my pennies up for a milltek full system. If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for yours? and where did you get it? I found one place that offers the full system for £684.99 incl.Vat and thats a huge price off compared to most places that sell them so just wanted to figure this out as it makes no sense....:p

Mike

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Im still saving my pennies up for a milltek full system. If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for yours? and where did you get it? I found one place that offers the full system for £684.99 incl.Vat and thats a huge price off compared to most places that sell them so just wanted to figure this out as it makes no sense....:p

Mike
Mike.

I got mine fitted through the group buy Lohen did in May, the complete system and fitting was £720 i think. £684.99 is a good price for the full system :) Makes the car breathe much better and deff adds more bhp./ pull in the gears.. Also a nice touch is how the pipes expand out when there hot , then retract again to bumper level when cool :D
Im now saving up for the re map u have ...

·
Registered
405 Posts
You wont be disappointed :)
Seems we are all exploring the same routes, I am thinking of getting a forge bov too
And as Mike knows my full exhaust system is going on in the next few weeks (when it finally arrives) too so we'll all be fairly similar mod wise

R

·
0 Posts
Mike.

I got mine fitted through the group buy Lohen did in May, the complete system and fitting was £720 i think. £684.99 is a good price for the full system :) Makes the car breathe much better and deff adds more bhp./ pull in the gears.. Also a nice touch is how the pipes expand out when there hot , then retract again to bumper level when cool :D
Im now saving up for the re map u have ...
That sounds quality. I have the colour-coded JCW aero kit and so the rear skirt has a different shaped insert. And with you mentioning the pipes expanding out do you think it would protrude the rear skirt? If your not sure i will get some pics up of my rear end :p and you could compare it to yours :rolleyes:?

You wont be disappointed :)
Seems we are all exploring the same routes, I am thinking of getting a forge bov too
And as Mike knows my full exhaust system is going on in the next few weeks (when it finally arrives) too so we'll all be fairly similar mod wise
Thats good that there are a few more of us starting to mod these lovely cars.Catch up on some of the supercharged owners :eek:

You will love the BOV especially with your CAI and the power your running! Cant imagine what its all going to be like when your custom exhaust is on :cool: A 3" one too!!

I was looking at possibly getting the alta intercooler deflector to maximise the performance of the standard one (after i get exhaust) as it looks an interesting piece of equipment and could only be a good thing i guess.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
That sounds quality. I have the colour-coded JCW aero kit and so the rear skirt has a different shaped insert. And with you mentioning the pipes expanding out do you think it would protrude the rear skirt? If your not sure i will get some pics up of my rear end :p and you could compare it to yours :rolleyes:?

Thats good that there are a few more of us starting to mod these lovely cars.Catch up on some of the supercharged owners :eek:

Apparentley the pipes can be adjusted , the end pieces are clamped on so you could adjust these so they dont come out so much, Lohen i think did this with there car.
Next time its hot ill try and take some pics to show you..then when its cold too.

As for the Forge BOV ive removed mine today, seeing how it goes without it. What i did notice is it had quite a bit of oil on it..

R

·
0 Posts
The oil at the BOV outlet is normal if its just a little..As long as it dont pour out by the bucket load ;)

Not sure. I preffer it on. I dont have guages fitted yet but if anyone does they will beable to vouch for the reduction in inlet temps..Which may not always give you more power/performance but it will for sure increase the life-span of your engine/turbo with it operating at lower temps, albeit, no more than an everage of 10 degrees lower but when you have been booting your car and then say stop in town or at traffic lights your car will be hitting 100 degrees for inlet temps, maybe more depending on weather, how you drive, and how capable the fans are at cooling...

I will be going on RR within next few weeks just to see my outputs as when i went to P-torque i had no other mods done so my guess is with the BOV and CAI i should be a couple ponies up.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
The oil at the BOV outlet is normal if its just a little..As long as it dont pour out by the bucket load ;)

Not sure. I preffer it on. I dont have guages fitted yet but if anyone does they will beable to vouch for the reduction in inlet temps..Which may not always give you more power/performance but it will for sure increase the life-span of your engine/turbo with it operating at lower temps, albeit, no more than an everage of 10 degrees lower but when you have been booting your car and then say stop in town or at traffic lights your car will be hitting 100 degrees for inlet temps, maybe more depending on weather, how you drive, and how capable the fans are at cooling...

I will be going on RR within next few weeks just to see my outputs as when i went to P-torque i had no other mods done so my guess is with the BOV and CAI i should be a couple ponies up.
Yep i cleaned the small amount of oil out to be sure :)

R

·
0 Posts
Me too! :) I did think for a second why it was there but then again its next to the turbo..I take it you prefer the performance/sound without BOV?

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Me too! :) I did think for a second why it was there but then again its next to the turbo..I take it you prefer the performance/sound without BOV?
Drove the car yesterday i cant make up mind yet if i miss the noise of the BOV yet :confused:
One thing is, it doesnt attract so much attention to the car when in town driving, of the constant hiss from it.. Good or bad i dunno..:p

R

·
0 Posts
TBH i felt it was a little too stale a noise... Like it was a psshhh... Now i love it even more with a CAI on...The nosies from the turbo are incredible..and the BOV sounds better too. If you are planning to run a cai in future i would suggest you try that without a BOV and then add the BOV as they do compliment each other well. Attracting attention with the noise though :) couldnt agree more! Especially with cai as you have all the spool up noises etc but i like it and thats all i care about really.. Let us know if you change your mind :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts