MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a facsimilie of an e-mail sent directly to BMW group Australia. I will post any reply.
---------------------------------------

Re: MINI

I have an order placed for a MINI Cooper S, but am seriously considering canceling this order. As you no doubt are aware “Mini2.com” was set up for current and potential owners of this vehicle. This site is not associated with BMW or MINI in any official capacity. The number of reports of problems with the MINI on their forum is conclusive enough to deem that there are a number of serious issues that need to be resolved by BMW. I do not get any reply when contacting [email protected], so am addressing my concerns directly to yourselves. My issue is not with the vehicle itself, but with BMW’s complete failure to admit that there is a quality issue at the Oxford manufacturing plant, and to ensure current and future owners of a MINI that these issues will be resolved.

I have to fill out a build sheet for my Cooper S when the full Australian specifications are released. I am not at all happy with going ahead with the current problems apparently being ignored by BMW AG.

A formal response to my concerns would be appreciated.

Sincerley

Andrew Fairweather

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for all the messages of support people !!.

Pretty pathetic, all things considered.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Basil said:
I have to fill out a build sheet for my Cooper S when the full Australian specifications are released. I am not at all happy with going ahead with the current problems apparently being ignored by BMW AG.
I'm a little confused ... it seems a little early in the game to have to spec your car. Isn't Australlia getting pre-spec'd cars for the first few months like in the US. Usually, you don't have to finalize specs until the dealer gets an allocation slot for the car. Are things different down under?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Basil said:

Hey, don't worry Basil. I think everyone's just been busy telling Smiffy where to go in New York.

Seriously, I'm sure you have everyone's support, and please let us know the response. In the meantime, my MINI is due in a couple of weeks. Don't know whether to feel :D or :( .

·
Registered
632 Posts
Positively the right message . .

Basil said:

I`m a bit late on here but - Good `on `yer Basil.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MINIAC said:

I'm a little confused ... it seems a little early in the game to have to spec your car. Isn't Australlia getting pre-spec'd cars for the first few months like in the US. Usually, you don't have to finalize specs until the dealer gets an allocation slot for the car. Are things different down under?
No confusion. No pre-specced cars will be coming to Australia unless they are for demo purposes. All Coopers and Cooper S's will be built to order. This applies to 2002. I guess if sales take off then pre-specced cars may arrive in 2003 for general sale.

All cars here require a $1000AU deposit and spec sheets filled in for building at Oxford. Once Oxford require the build sheets a further $1000AU is required. According to rich, in Sydney his dealer has told him the additional $1000AU is NOT required. This may then vary from dealer to dealer around the country.

The first 5 or so Cooper S's at my dealer will be delivered in May/June 2002. I am #9, my car (if i don't cancel it first) will be delivered in Sept/Oct 2002.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
IndieBlueOne said:
I'm sure you have everyone's support, and please let us know the response. In the meantime, my MINI is due in a couple of weeks. Don't know whether to feel :D or :( .
I know how you feel; I am due to get my car in a couple of weeks as well. Never mind :D or:( , I am like:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops

Basil said:

Oops, If i'd just waited 10 more minutes..........

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Basil said:

The first 5 or so Cooper S's at my dealer will be delivered in May/June 2002.
Latest from my dealer is that NO ONE in Aus gets an S delivered before July to stop some dealers getting an early trickle, as it were:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Basil said:

Thats a great icon LMB.....Brilliant !

;)
Congratulations Basil on your 500th post

You are an inspiration to obsessive/compulsives the worl over:eek:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rich said:

Latest from my dealer is that NO ONE in Aus gets an S delivered before July to stop some dealers getting an early trickle, as it were:rolleyes:
Perhaps they need more time to fix the problems.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rich said:

Congratulations Basil on your 500th post

You are an inspiration to obsessive/compulsives the worl over:eek:
Thanks......your right,it's very sad really.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
NEWS ITEM !!!

Following a flurry of activity this morning, I have spoken directly with the management of BMW Australia Group. I am not going to name my source in the interests of his position at BMW, so where you see "official" read this as "unofficial".

(As far as I personally am concerned however, it’s Official feedback, which I am happy to pass on to those that have an interest).

This was not as a direct result of my e-mail above but from a follow up e-mail to my local dealer.

To his credit he contacted BMW head office and found out that my concerns were not entirely unfounded.

Firstly and most importantly to me; as a consequence of this telephone conversation my current order for a MINI Cooper S stays in place.

Secondly and importantly to everyone around the world posting here, BMW do monitor the press closely, and that includes MINI2.COM, even from "down under".

The person I spoke to this morning had the following to say regarding the two main current issues:

1/. Pulling left:

BMW’s current position on this matter is that it would appear to be a camber issue. ALL BMW’s for RHD countries are designed with a steering geometry bias to the left for safety. This bias combined with the extremely sensitive nature of the steering geometry contributes to what could be termed as an exaggerated veer to the left. A bent control arm or any number of other causes could have caused the issue of one car riding up over the center crown of the road. Obviously there was more than a "designed in bias" in that particular case.

Note that this is their "current" position. The matter is being investigated further and if found to be a mechanical or design fault (over biased for example), the vehicles WILL be recalled. No question.

Interestingly BMW had a similar complaint with their Z3 model. It was found to be a combination of sensitive steering, larger diameter wheels, camber bias and the types of vehicle customers were leaving to climb into a Z3. The last comment was also directed at new MINI owners. (Don’t take offence guys and gal’s, as it "may" be a valid point in certain cases).

2/. Opening of Windows/Sunroof and doors locking themselves.

This is a software problem with the siemens control module that controls windows/windscreen wipers/door locks etc. Nothing to do with the Engine management control unit. Again BMW are well aware of this problem and software upgrades should have started with the late December ‘01 build MINI’s.

Certain CD head units have a power drain problem. Your dealer should contact you soon for a replacement if you haven’t been contacted already.

There is little doubt that UK customers are the Guinea pigs for the MINI, as it’s being made in Oxford. Had the manufacturing plant been in Germany it would have been the Germans. That’s the way it works unfortunately. And that's from Mr BMW.

I do not know whether the above helps anyone, but it helped me to know "officially" that BMW AG are well aware of the problems and WILL rectify them. Even if some of you don’t agree with their position, at least it’s good to know they have one.!

Cheers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Basil

Excellent news from down-under!

I spoke to my dealer yesterday about the minor door lock problem I have experienced. It is booked in for a fix.

They said that with any new model car there will always be minor faults that will require rectification.

From what I have read on the site so far, the dealers are responding in a positive way to major problems that MINI owners have experienced. Including new cars for those 'rejected' by customers.

With a 3 year warranty in the UK I am confident that the dealers will be able to support any problems encountered. Even with the shorter warranty in Australia (12 months from memory), I am sure that this will provide enough time for any problems to be rectified.

Glad to see that your Cooper S is still on order! BTW, picked up a new brochure for the Cooper S. Very nice car, and the 16" wheels look pretty neat too.

Cheers,

Garry

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Garry said:
Basil

Excellent news from down-under!

I spoke to my dealer yesterday about the minor door lock problem I have experienced. It is booked in for a fix.

They said that with any new model car there will always be minor faults that will require rectification.

From what I have read on the site so far, the dealers are responding in a positive way to major problems that MINI owners have experienced. Including new cars for those 'rejected' by customers.

With a 3 year warranty in the UK I am confident that the dealers will be able to support any problems encountered. Even with the shorter warranty in Australia (12 months from memory), I am sure that this will provide enough time for any problems to be rectified.

Glad to see that your Cooper S is still on order! BTW, picked up a new brochure for the Cooper S. Very nice car, and the 16" wheels look pretty neat too.

Cheers,

Garry
Hi Garry, thanks for that. The Warranty here is 2 years for the Cooper, I assume the S would be the same.

I hope you get your car sorted soon. What was the exact build date of your Cooper ?.

cheers

:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Basil

Two year warranty in Oz is pretty good!

My car is a week 50 build, ie. the week before Xmas.

The dealer has been excellent in terms of service, acknowledging the minor faults and proposing solutions. The proof now is what they do in the workshop.

BTW, took my Peugeot 106 1.1litre for a drive around the Downs near Clifton Bridge. That car I thought was nice to drive but after the MINI it feels soft and the steering vague.

Must say I appreciate how nice the MINI is to drive. Hope to drive a Cooper S in May when the dealer gets a demo car. Lots of posts then!!:D :D :D

Cheers

Garry

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Garry said:
Basil

Two year warranty in Oz is pretty good!

My car is a week 50 build, ie. the week before Xmas.

The dealer has been excellent in terms of service, acknowledging the minor faults and proposing solutions. The proof now is what they do in the workshop.

BTW, took my Peugeot 106 1.1litre for a drive around the Downs near Clifton Bridge. That car I thought was nice to drive but after the MINI it feels soft and the steering vague.

Must say I appreciate how nice the MINI is to drive. Hope to drive a Cooper S in May when the dealer gets a demo car. Lots of posts then!!:D :D :D

Cheers

Garry
Thanks for that Garry. Your build date is interesting. Maybe the door lock is a seperate issue from the Windows one. Anyway. BMW are here at MINI2.COM, and they listen. So keep the pressure on so everyone benefits.

Yes demo S here too in April/May. Poor thing will get a hell of a caning........I'll get a drive of a Cooper in early March when the demo's arrive. Missed out on that "other" car. Bit of a drama with that today.

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts