MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So us Brits have experienced our first snow and cold weather blast then... and its revealed
for the first time for me the fundamental problem with the mini doors/windows on my my sept 05 MCS. Namely, the sublime process of the1/4 inch drop and raise of the frame less doors, the split second before/after the doors are opened/closed is immediately K'O ed by "Mr Freeze"

That horrible 'CLUNK' of the window (that this time didn't drop!) is the first indicator of how bad the nights frost was! (ooh!....have I damaged it?....looks as though I've got away with it this time!) . Then it suddenly occurs to you that you can't shut the bloody door either because of course the window hasn't dropped!! Yes, now you've entered the cabin, you can duly set about putting the heating to setting 4, while you to and throw from your house with 'WARM' water to unfreeze the door window......so at least you can get the window down, so that you don't 'CLANG' the window when you shut it!!

All I want to do is get in my mini all year round!!

I don't use scrappers, it puts micro scratches on your glass. I don't use de-icer....it's bad for paintwork.

Even if you remember to do so it may not always be convenient to get a jug of warm (not to hot now!) water before your entry.

The only way round it that I can see, is to reluctantly use de-icer keeping it in the boot and opening that first, as opening the tailgate doesn't make you wince!

Has anyone out there found a better way around this? and are we damaging anything at all when we all have a mad instinctive moment and OPEN THE DOOR?

·
MINI2 Frequenter
52 Posts
:rolleyes:
little bit dramatic?!

yeah it can be a problem if you're not prepared but a small amount of de-icer isnt gonna hurt that much. and its a problem countless other cars with frameless windows endures (ie. most coupes and convertibles!!).

·
Registered
700 Posts
How about a good car cover, that will keep frost from forming on the car.

Also, put a big piece of card board under the windscreen wipers on the windscreen and/or the rear window. The card board will stop the windows from frosting.

Car cover worked for me for many years until I got a garage.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey, good post. I was defrosting our Spacewagon today (ice on the inside of the windscreen, for crying out loud) and it took me a good 5 minutes to get into the car (without snapping the door handles off). Whilst doing this, the same thought occured to me.

Every single car I have had with electric windows (or indeed manual) has a problem in Winter and I guess my MCC will be the same.

Make mental note, keep in garage during winter then!

·
I love my mini!
1 Posts
OH i get so frusterated with my mini windows!

Even if I get ALL of the ice/frost off of my car it STILL won't go down far enough for me to shut my door without bending the window back :(

I'm so afraid that the next time i go to shut my door i'm going to end up breaking my window off :eek: Luckily i'm small enough to crawl in through the back to drive :p It does seem kinda strange to bypass the typical "open your door to get into your car" thing :) Oh well :)

Two things on the grocery list ;)
1) Garrage
2) Winter car so my :dark: dosent have to experience this horrible winter weather ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Jessica Rabbit
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing