MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a reply to another thread that I thought may be of interest/use to some in its own thread. I am now resigned to the fact that I am going to lose a lot of money and no longer feel anything towards BMW. This post is completely subjective. (Sorry for being so down lately, it's been hard not to be)

This post is not a negative one (for a change at the minute, I admit). I've been talking to BMW/MINI at varying levels for a while now for reasons you all know. From these meetings/conversations, thereare comment points that always crop up. Some of these have not been mentioned on here before. They are from the horses mouth, whether they are all true is another thing...
- BMW/MINI do know and admit that there have been and still are problems with the new MINI.
- They put it down to the car being new from the ground up, which is fair enough.
- They are working on a compensatory measure for the characteristic of the car pulling left which some people find uncomfartable and the extent of which varies between cars. This is not a fault or else they would not be selling the cars (their words, not mine).
- The only person who can accept your car back in the event of a rejection is your dealer, choose wisely.
- The MINI is not a BMW and is in a completely different league and price range to the BMW. It is a public misconception that they are the same car/build etc...
- They still denie it is basically a Rover. Rover plant, rover engineers.... (and we all know what was happening to them up until recently).
- "The Germans" have accepted responsibilty to cure the faults and are in the factory working alongside the english production staff.
- The people buying the MINI early on have been the real world testers and there where always going to be some disappointments, I just happened to be one.

In all, I think the MINI could be a great car in the FUTURE, it is now, but it is not completely ready. I think most of the problems are build quality related as the cars seem to vary so much. My advice is do what I should have done, hang on a while. It could cost you a lot of money if you don't. Even all the fun I had being in one of the first MINI Coopers on the road was not worth the money, aggravation and upset that I have gone through these last few weeks/months.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Paul, can you put some pressure on BMW / MINI for their side to this sorry story ?.

It seems like ages since you asked them for official comment. Be nice to see something conclusive.

cheers

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Cmt,sorry but I have to disagree with you.

Theres this saying you can please some of the people some of the time,but not all the people all the time.

I have a fault free MINI cooper same build date as you cmt and I am more than happy with it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sorry to here that cmt.

Dont be fooled MINI IS made by BMW. It says so under the bonnet!!!!!

Mark.

but you do what you have to do!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
577 Posts
CMT, I agree with you. And I have to disagree with BMW on a few points. First off, it is not "new from the ground up" because it is essentially a four-year-old Rover design. The problems are mainly due to it being "BMWized" when they took the company over. They tried to make the MINI into a "personal luxury vehicle" instead of leaving it as it was intended. Had they kept it a basic vehicle instead, most of the current problems wouldn't be there. The excuse that it is "not a BMW" is hogwash too. It's like saying the one Jaguar model is not a Ford when it uses the same chassis as the Lincoln LS and the new T-Bird.

It's said that the early bird gets the worms, but I don't like worms. Hopefully BMW will get everything sorted out in time. The early cars coming here are bound to have the same problems given that they have already been built or are being built now. I suspect BMW is banking on the fact that the MINI is an unknown quantity and there will be the usual people with more money than sense, lining up to buy one just to be part of the "in" crowd. The US models will have some changes, so that might mean a new set of problem areas. Those on the cutting edge are the ones who bleed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Belive MINIMARK when it says its a BMW, after all the hogwash my dealer was giving me thats its not a BMW, the day i get it and have a snoop around under the bonnet its says "Made by BMW" lol

They must be in Denial

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I SHOULD (again) have official repsonse on the pulling left issue in the next few days (mid week next week maybe)...

The car is made by the BMW group, no one can deny that.

I think a resonable comparison would be a VW to an Audi.

Different cars, different brands, but all made by VAG.

Also, I have often been told that you should never buy a brand new car in its frist year of production as you are very likely to suffer some faults.

Not saying it's right, but not entirely expected.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
I SHOULD (again) have official repsonse on the pulling left issue in the next few days (mid week next week maybe)...

thanks for that :)

Paul_Mullett said:

The car is made by the BMW group, no one can deny that.

Except BMW........ ha ha ha

Paul_Mullett said:

Also, I have often been told that you should never buy a brand new car in its frist year of production as you are very likely to suffer some faults.

My father told me that too, after his experiences. And he NEVER bought the same brand twice in a row. My Holden (Opel, Vauxhall etc) Astra is a good case in point. My car was bought within three months of production and was a lemon. Ended up being towed away never to be seen again after a myriad of design / manufacturing / quality faults.

It's now the second biggest seller in it's class in oz, so I guess they must have fixed the many problems. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth though.

I would have hoped that the MINI's problems, especially as they seem so fundamental, would have been addressed by now.

Difficult to stay positive, even after talking directly with BMW Australia.

:confused:

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I assume that Paul meant a BMW 'few days' which in my experience so far could mean never, BMW days are very different to real world days and I've not worked out the formula yet. :D

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
its something to do with BMW working on Middle Earth time!!

9 days in a week of 27hrs apart from Thursdays when there is 31
and dont even go there when its a leap year and the months double in length and when we change over to BST we get an extra 90 minutes on a weds but 2hrs less on a Monday!!!!!!!!!!

VERY VERY Confussing!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts