MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little computer is indicating that I'll need the front pads changing in about 2000 miles (about 36000miles) - anybody got any idea on what the cost of that'll be?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
The little computer is indicating that I'll need the front pads changing in about 2000 miles (about 36000miles) - anybody got any idea on what the cost of that'll be?
I am sure that will depend on where you get it done.

In ascending order:

1. Buy bits yourself and DIY or get a friend to do it.
2. Get a trustworthy independent garage to do it.
3. Pay top whack and get a dealer to do it. They will probably suggest the discs need replacing as well. I imagine this will be £200+ :eek:

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
depends what pads you go for - i think normal ones are £60/70. but i got the R53 JCW ones (as they are the same calipers) and they are a harder compound so in theroy shoud last a little longer and can take hard braking alot more. they are about £100 from what i can remember

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
depends what pads you go for - i think normal ones are £60/70. but i got the R53 JCW ones (as they are the same calipers) and they are a harder compound so in theroy shoud last a little longer and can take hard braking alot more. they are about £100 from what i can remember
Was thsat including fitting?

If not, did you pay to get them fitted? If yes, by whom, what did you pay? Thanks :smile:

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
i had alot of work dont at the same time so cant recall exactly....

.....i had it done at the only place i will ever take my MINI to get something fixed...ThinkMini.

give them a ring. amazing service, brilliant prices and great guys in general. Dave and Adrian are they guys who own it, speak to them and they will tell you which pads are best for you driving etc. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I took mine in when it said 1000 miles left & the garage said they didnt need doing, they said there was a fault & reset the computer. When i enquired how much they would be when i left it in the morning they said about £140

·
Registered
847 Posts
You got 36k out of a set of front brake pads? That's good going, have to change mine in 800 which will be about 13800 miles! :aargh:

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
A pair of front R56 pads is about £65-70 (I have fitted them to my R53 JCW brakes, as they are essentially the same disc and caliper)

Took me about 15 mins per wheel from wheel bolt undone to wheelbolt tightened.

Simple job... Wheel off, undo bottom caliper bolt, rotate caliper up out of the way, change the pads, rotate down and reapply bolt to correct torque. you may have to push the piston back a bit to fit the new (thicker) pad in, but other than that its hassle free). Just get a Haynes manual (its not the best but is fine for doing a job like this)

Fitted at BMW will probably be parts and 1 hour labour + vat so estimate about £200. I had all 4 pads and discs done for about £460+ vat not that many years ago.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't got them done yet as the Service indicator is still saying "1500 miles" and has been for the past month and I do about 80miles a day on a motorway. I might have a visual check of them to make sure that the computer is misleading me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after going in for some warranty work - the dealers reset the computer and checked the brakes - and guess what I don't need them changing yet!

·
Registered
24 Posts
my computer said 800 miles just before xmas, i've done 4k since!! and its faily heavy use as its a driveing school car!! and it said 900 last week, dropped to 320 yesterday!

ebc replacement pads £23

an hours job if you take your time and clean everything.

do check your discs. they will probable need changing. they wont look it but they only need to wear down 1mm and they will be under the min. which is why these mini's are a right pain on the brakes.

your motorway mileage is why your pads have lasted such a long time! i get 25k out of mine teaching should have changed discs each time as they were just under min when i swapped first set so put new ones at second set!!
rear discs are same as old car r50's
front pads are 1 series
so there are after market ones out. and seen as they are jurrid pads i'd change to ebc green for same price. much better pad.

they are really easy to replace, much easier than the last cars, rewind tool required for the rears

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
On an MCS the pads are £80 + vat I think. On the One and Cooper they are less and EBC do "black stuff" pads for those models which cost about £25-30 a pair. Its about 154-20 mins to change them if your reasonably technical.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Do you change the discs as well as the pads on the first service or can you get two sets of pads to one set of discs?

Pads or discs/pads should not be expected to be changed at the first service.

I just had first service at 21k miles. Plenty life left in all pads - discs look perfect too.

Pity my tyres do not have lots of life left :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got 12,000 miles on my Cooper. Computer says 8000 to go so 20,000 on front pads. Computer says 15,000 to go on rear. I wouldn't mind it being wrong and just being reset. Considering Carbotech pads as a replacement.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've still not had the front pads changed - just turned 60k miles on the clock - last time it was in (56k) they said they were fine - OBC has just ticked down from 1500miles to change to 700miles to change after about 10k miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts