MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Apart from catching every possible speed bump, does anyone know what the plastic bits are for on the front bumper that hang down just in front of the front wheels (see pic)?

If they are of no importance I will remove them, as they are driving me mad. The sound of grinding plastic everytime you go over a speed bump (problem is made worse with the JCW aero kit)

Thanks

Attachments

·
Andrew ATC
725 Posts
I don't know what they are for, but I am having exactly the same problem. Folks must think I am nuts as i slow down to 5mph over speed bumps :eek: Both of mine, were partially hanging off when I checked them :(, but easily reattached. Like yourself, i am considering removing them to save the hassle.
Is it caused by the heavier weight of the Diesel engine?
I had no problem before putting the JCW Aero kit on.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
I had the ones on my car removed!! And now I am able to drive over speed bumps much more easily. This was several months ago, and I have had no issues as a result of this. I think this seems to be the solution to all of our Aero kit bump problems.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Asked the parts guy at my dealers, and he had no idea what their purpose is :confused:
Thanks for all the responses.

I've noticed a few other makes of car with a similar thing on, all I can think it's for is to may be cut down on spray in wet weather :confused::confused::confused:

I think I am going to remove mine :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for all the responses.

I've noticed a few other makes of car with a similar thing on, all I can think it's for is to may be cut down on spray in wet weather :confused::confused::confused:

I think I am going to remove mine :D

Isn't it better to get the warning from the strip hitting the speed bump or a curb when parking forwards, then damaging the bottom of your front bumper which sits only a littler higher than the strip.

·
MINI ridin!
37 Posts
i read somewhere that the little flaps are there as a wall to help decrease air from flowing under the car at higher speeds and pushes it off to the sides, creating less drag or lift on the vehicle...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts