MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anybody know how to loosten the front bumper, move it up a cm and the retighten ?

The gap between the bonet and the bumper seem to be just a little too much, like the bonnet is still open - which it isn't by the way ;)

Cheers,

·
Mini Cooper S
13 Posts
Hi,
I've have just taken delivery of a Chilli red MCS Works complete with the Aero kit and I have the same problem with the front spoiler on the drivers side. I noticed this along with the mis-aligned towing eye hole and the missing Grill Plug ( separate part to the Aero kit) I will let you know when mine has been sorted out.

martink :cool:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You can either adjust the bumper or the bonnet.

It is probably easier to adjust the bonnet though. On each one of the catches which hold it closed there are two bolts holding the catch to the bodywork, one is fixed and the other can be loosened allowing you to alter the height of the catch.

For the bumper there are two bolts inside each front wheel arch holding the bumper on, one allows you to remove the bumper completely but the other one can be loosened allowing you to alter the height of the bumper and therefore the gap in between the bumper and bonnet.

I found this out after having a new bonnet and bumper put on my S after somebody turned into me :mad: , when it came back from the dealers the gap wasn't the same on both sides, I took it back 3 times each time getting the same excuse that it was very tricky to line up out of the factory, so I just did it myself and got it spot on after about 5mins of playing around.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
The bumper has horizontal and vertical adjusters on both sides. They are fairly easy...loosen the screw then reposition than tighten. The verticals are accessed from the wheel wells, you will see a hole in front of the wheel, you may want to turn your wheel all the way in.

That being said, it is very common for MINIs to be misaligned and can't be lined up perfectly. I had the problem on one side and brought it in. the dealer fixed it but only by bending the hood, which caused a small dent. When I later got a new hood, the same misalignment was there after all the adjusting they could do. I'd much rather have that then a dented hood. :)

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Refitting the bumpers is an easy job, very few tools needed - give it a go or tell yout BMW garage to do it,.

I recently changes the front and rear bumpers on my wifes car. Front took about 40 minutes, rear about an hour - rear is slightly harder to do....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Grill Plug

martink said:
...I noticed this along with the mis-aligned towing eye hole and the missing Grill Plug ( separate part to the Aero kit)...
Hi martink,

I've just had an aero kit fitted but haven't heard of a grill plug :confused:.

Does this go in the towing eye and do you have the part number/price?

Thanks

·
Mini Cooper S
13 Posts
stephenfroude said:
Hi martink,

I've just had an aero kit fitted but haven't heard of a grill plug :confused:.

Does this go in the towing eye and do you have the part number/price?

Thanks
Hi Steve
The black plug fits into the grill and covers the towing eye hole. Below is an email response I got back from Mini regarding this along with p/n.

Dear Mr Martin

Thank you for your email to MINI Customer Information dated January 20,

We can confirm that the plug should be installed with all kits, the Part Ref
No: 51.71.0.152.022. Please contact the MINI dealership who installed the
John Works Kit.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact
a member of the Customer Information Department. :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
martink said:
Hi Steve
The black plug fits into the grill and covers the towing eye hole. Below is an email response I got back from Mini regarding this along with p/n.

Dear Mr Martin

Thank you for your email to MINI Customer Information dated January 20,

We can confirm that the plug should be installed with all kits, the Part Ref
No: 51.71.0.152.022. Please contact the MINI dealership who installed the
John Works Kit.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact
a member of the Customer Information Department. :cool:
Hi martink

Thanks for that. Does that mean this part is only for the John Works Kit? Or is it available for the Standard Aero Kit?

I though it looked a bit odd without a plug! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
stephenfroude said:
Hi martink

Thanks for that. Does that mean this part is only for the John Works Kit? Or is it available for the Standard Aero Kit?

I though it looked a bit odd without a plug! :rolleyes:
Anyone else know if the standard aero kit front bumper should come with a towing eye plug???

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can either adjust the bumper or the bonnet.

It is probably easier to adjust the bonnet though. On each one of the catches which hold it closed there are two bolts holding the catch to the bodywork, one is fixed and the other can be loosened allowing you to alter the height of the catch.

For the bumper there are two bolts inside each front wheel arch holding the bumper on, one allows you to remove the bumper completely but the other one can be loosened allowing you to alter the height of the bumper and therefore the gap in between the bumper and bonnet.

I found this out after having a new bonnet and bumper put on my S after somebody turned into me :mad: , when it came back from the dealers the gap wasn't the same on both sides, I took it back 3 times each time getting the same excuse that it was very tricky to line up out of the factory, so I just did it myself and got it spot on after about 5mins of playing around.

Hope this helps
Hi LukeyBabe,
this is good advice. I am the first person who doesn't know much about maintaining cars.Could you provide a couple of quick pics for reference on how to adjust the bumper?
Thanks,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts