MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,

I think my Mini might need the inner ball joint on the front wishbones replacing. They look to me like a fixed part of the wishbone assembly like the image below, but also I can see separate ball joints being sold.

Is it possible to change them, or does it just depend on model or something?
Can I do it without removal of the whole wishbone or sub-frame dropping?

eBay Link - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=Mini+r56+inner+ball+joint&isNewKw=1&isRefine=true&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&_trksid=p2056088.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xmini+r56+inner+ball+joint&sqp=mini+r56+inner+ball+joint

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are certianly sold as a unit but perhaps aftermarket can be changed?

I've seen images of the replacement inner ball joint supplied with a spring circlip so I wonder if the original are done this way but perhaps hidden under the rubber boot. Or maybe the original is a tight press fit but can be forced out and replaced with a new one held by a circlip?

Somebody must have had a close look at this!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Trust me the ball joints are all separate and can be removed quite easily. I know because I've changes quite a few in my time. It's much easier to change the inner ball joint if you drop the strut out and only adds 10 minutes to the job!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me the ball joints are all separate and can be removed quite easily. I know because I've changes quite a few in my time. It's much easier to change the inner ball joint if you drop the strut out and only adds 10 minutes to the job!
Hi Sean,

Please can you tell me more about this job? How did you get the ball joint out, just hammer from under it with the nut part way on to protect the threads?

Do the new ones need a lot of force to press in? Gore did you press them?

Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
How did you remove the lower control arm itself. Did you need to lower the subframe? I have the bolts off everywhere and have it separated from the rotor but cant seem to raise the control arm out of the subframe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
use a gear puller or clamp, to essentially push the ball joint out from one side. Youtube videos on how to do this are really good for visualising what's needed.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Just replace the wishbone/control arm.

DIY: It's much much much easier to.
Paying a mechanic: The labour costs of pressing the old ball joint out and pressing a new one in will likely be more than a new wishbone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts