MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wink:Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and bought my first Mini cooper on Friday. It was a private sale. I'm over the moon with it. it has chilli pack and Mini cherished. It's a 05 plate with a black roof and it's a lovely light metallic blue. (I'm sorry I don't know the name of the colour, but it's gorgeous) We went to Wales in it on Sunday and it drove beautifully. I've never got used to a car so quickly, it's so easy to drive.
Anyway, just a quick question, I have a slight knocking noise coming from the front passenger side. It's only when I pull away, change gear a bit too sharp (while I'm getting used to it:hmph:)or go over a bump slowly. Seconds after I've pulled away or if Im cruising it's not there at all. My local garage where I work checked it over for me today and said they'd found a loose heat guard so they fixed that and I also had brake pads and discs as they were very low. However, the little clunk is still there. Has anyone any ideas at all please. It's not too bad but rattles and clunks niggle you don't they?
Great forum and I'm enjoying reading your posts, Thank you.

Ann:nice::ebblack:

·
Registered
57 Posts
:wink:Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and bought my first Mini cooper on Friday. It was a private sale. I'm over the moon with it. it has chilli pack and Mini cherished. It's a 05 plate with a black roof and it's a lovely light metallic blue. (I'm sorry I don't know the name of the colour, but it's gorgeous) We went to Wales in it on Sunday and it drove beautifully. I've never got used to a car so quickly, it's so easy to drive.
Anyway, just a quick question, I have a slight knocking noise coming from the front passenger side. It's only when I pull away, change gear a bit too sharp (while I'm getting used to it:hmph:)or go over a bump slowly. Seconds after I've pulled away or if Im cruising it's not there at all. My local garage where I work checked it over for me today and said they'd found a loose heat guard so they fixed that and I also had brake pads and discs as they were very low. However, the little clunk is still there. Has anyone any ideas at all please. It's not too bad but rattles and clunks niggle you don't they?
Great forum and I'm enjoying reading your posts, Thank you.

Ann:nice::ebblack:
Welcome to the forum! :smile: I'm pretty new myself...
I have a slight knock in my 03 Cooper S whenever i go over bumps, but i haven't got a clue what it is...i'm sorry, i can't really help you, i'm sure somebody on here will be able to though!

Do you get lots of knocks and rattles inside your mini too? Apparently it's pretty common to get rattles in the dash etc...i have loads lol, it is a bit annoying, but hey it adds a bit of "character" so it's all good!

Happy motoring with your new mini!!! (by the way i think the colour is called electric blue) :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;)Hi all, thanks for your replies. Yes to my surprise I do have a few rattles inside the car too but hey I can live with those. It's the one from the front passenger side that bothers me. I's not really as I turn the wheel, it's as I go over bumps and when I've changed up the gear. Usually its the low gears not 4th or 5th. It sounds like metal banging on metal, like a clunk noise. It gets quite embarrassing when I go over bumpy zebra crossings etc....... once I'm cruising along its all smooth and gone. I'm hoping it's not the gear box:puzzled:
I can honestly say that I'm not too impressed with the gear change either, I find it very knotty. I have read on here though that it gets better as time goes on:rolleyes:
:D:D:biggrin:Other than that though I love it, love it, love it!!!:tongue:

Ann

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Aussie, don't think theres any play in the wheel as I had new discs and pads and asked the garage to have a check around to see if they knew what it could be. All they came up with was a heat guard loose. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ann

Midlands, BTW

·
I'm avin 'oops
1,225 Posts
not being funny but i had clunk now an dthen and found that the metal latch for the passenger seatbealt was knocking between the seat and frame of door

I reached over and looped over the seat and the clunk was gone

maybe not yur problem but check it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that Nath,

Funny you should say that, when I had Mom in with me the other day there was a really annoying rattle developing. I was getting really annoyed by it after 10 minutes. As Mom moved it it got louder. It was actually her zip on her coat banging against the door. I was happy then and we both found it really funny. The other clunk remains though unfortunately.

Thanks,

Ann

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
It could be a CV joint possibly or could be something in the dash! It really all depends.

I would recommend getting it checked out just for peace of mind really. Get them to check the whole suspension and steering setup etc and if nothing is wrong try and put up with it lol

Welcome to MINI2 anyway, hope you get your car sorted soon.

·
I'm avin 'oops
1,225 Posts
another clunk i have from time to time is the locking nut moving in my glove box

doesnt move much but when it does it is a loud clunk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all

Today I phoned my local bmw dealer and he confirmed that I have used car warranty till jan 09. So I've booked it in for it's clunk check!!
So does anyone know the difference between new and used warranty. Am I likely to get stung or would I be best getting a diagnosis from them and getting the work done elsewhere? Or maybe I'm jumping the gun as he said if parts need doing they may well come under the warranty.

Cheers

Ann

1 - 16 of 16 Posts