MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Does anyone know what sort of price I should be paying for front suspension bushes to be changed on my R52 cooper s? Looking at getting PSBs fitted. I am based near Henley-on-Thames.

Not ever replaced bushes myself and whilst happy to do an oil and filter service, bit apprehensive about doing this.

Thank you,
James

·
Registered
859 Posts
Depends how it’s done, the whole front subframe should be removed ideally, though some will do it with it loosened or in place using a drill, saw and puller.

Use a garage who have done them before is my tip, saves time and therefore money, most of the cost will be labour.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi
My G/F lives in Maidenhead and has had various bits changed on her R50 not sure the name but its in Howarth Rd. They helped me with my Astra once very helpful and not too expensive.
Can try and get the name later if it's near enough.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have used the same garage up here in Wigan for years when time and weather (or lack of tools and knowledge :) ) means I can't do jobs myself. I've always found them to be reasonable.
They've done both the rear control arm bushing on both sides on separate occasions on my R50.
On each occasion I was charged £48.70 for the bush £68.00 in labour, all plus VAT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies guys, very useful.

@Stu E would be very useful if you could find out the name of the garage please, thanks very much.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is a special tool (as is the case for many jobs on many cars) available to do this with out dropping the subframe. I would expect garages to rent one when the job is booked in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's the fella.

There are a few vids on YouTube showing how to do it using this tool with the subframe fitted.

Buy poly bushes like Powerflex and it's a one time job. Poly bushes are easier to fit as well. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'd recommend Powerflex Black Series, barely any movement and no intrusive vibration or harshness, they make a significant difference to torque steer and braking stability and in black are discreet. If you're taking the frame down maybe get the others for the anti-roll bar and steering rack mounting bush.

With the subframe down if doing that it's a good opportunity to spend time cleaning it all and especially all of the back of the engine and under etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd recommend Powerflex Black Series, barely any movement and no intrusive vibration or harshness, they make a significant difference to torque steer and braking stability and in black are discreet. If you're taking the frame down maybe get the others for the anti-roll bar and steering rack mounting bush.

With the subframe down if doing that it's a good opportunity to spend time cleaning it all and especially all of the back of the engine and under etc.
I agree with using the black vs purple. The purple ones did not hold up on my R53.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for replies guys, very useful.

@Stu E would be very useful if you could find out the name of the garage please, thanks very much.
Hi, I did mine by dropping the subframe out, it is quite a lot of work so would be fairly expensive if you can't do it yourself, I understand that there are pullers that can do it by just loosening the subframe although it is almost as much work. I bought the bushes complete with brackets and also replaced the clutch as, with the subframe out, you are 90% of the way there so it makes sense.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought these bushes and my local garage fitted them.

To date they have been fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts