MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take the front suspension struts off yesterday & after undoing the drop link, hub clamp & 3x mounting bolts i found that the only way i could remove the strut was to compress the springs so that i could get enough lift to remove the strut from the hub. with the ball joint still intact i could not drop the wish bone enough to get the 2" approx lift need to get the strut out of the hub. Has anyone else done it this way or do you all break the all joint !!

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
If you push down on the hub, the control arm will drop the required distance, when I fitted my lowering springs I didnt touch the bal joints

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah what he said ^
Its very close , but it does come out....
I tried to push the hub down with my body weight but i was still about 1/2" short ofbeing able to lift the strut out of the hub, do you need a bar on it to get a bit more force ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
if ur refering to the ball joint underneath the hub, u can take it off quite easy, there're only 2 13mm bolts.

but as the other mention, they do come off with the ball joint intact. you probably just need a bigger lever bar.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I did it this way and it was a bit of a nightmare to be honest, i dont know how i managed to get the new dampers and springs on in one piece, If i was doing it again i would definately separate the ball joint

1 - 7 of 7 Posts