MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done over 29k in my '03 Cooper and I used to always get 180 - 190 miles per half tank and usually around 300 - 330 miles out of a full tank. Over the past 4 weeks this has gradually got worse. I'm not driving any differently and I haven't changed my journey - I drive through London to work everyday (21 miles there) at the quietest time in the morning so not much traffic and the traffic isn't that bad home either! Last night when I got home I noticed that i've done nearly half a tank and have only done 117 miles!!! Do you think there is a problem? Should I take her to the garage? I know she is a greedy cow but this is really ridiculous and is costing me a fortune!

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
My MINI ONE occasionally varies but generally i get about the same as you to a tank.336 miles the most i've seen on the mileometer for a tank of fuel..i've got the s spokes and i know they make a difference but according to my OBC i'm averaging 30mpg.I know that sounds rubbish for a MINI ONE but 99% of my driving is in town.I had an 03 MINI ONE previously and i reckoned that was doing about 30mpg now i have the OBC on my 05 MINI ONE i at least can officially say my fuel consumption is a bit cac.Not sure as to why your mpg is dropping off though,have you checked your tyres to make sure they are fully inflated cos that could cause a decrease in mpg.I'd take it back to the dealers if it persists.I do pretty much the same short journeys everyday and like i said earlier occasionally i look at the average mpg and it looks worse than usual(rarely better) and l can't think that i've been doin' anything different than usual.Hope you sort it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Poor Mpg

Hi,

Are you sure that the fuel guage is not reading incorrectly , your can only really work out MPG on a tank to tank fill up. You can also check how much is actually in the tank by interegating the OBC computer,hold the mileage rest counter in why you switch the ignition key to position 1 "test" will come up instead of the milage ;keep pressing you button untill you get to test 6 go to 6.1 this will tell you what you have actually got in your tank in litres. Check that relates to 1/2 atank. Fuller instructions are in the forum somewhere :yellow:

Graham

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to take her to my local dealer on Wednesday, will let you know their answer!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well she went into the garage yesterday and i'm not going mad (for a change!) the petrol gauge/sensor has broken. Have to take her back in next week to be repaired - all warranty.

Phew! That'll save the pennies! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts