MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd make a point seeing as their is a similar named thred in the "new" mini (R56) section! And anyway, its Friday and I need a little rant...

A lot of my friends are very worried about their various cars fuel consumption, and often point out that the my MCS ('02) poors petrol out the back, not being very efficeint. They all drive like coffin dodgers and nurse 350/400 miles out of a tank and worry everytime they get in a car about breaking 3000 revs.
When it comes to the MCS, who really cares about fuel consumption? When i got my car I thought about practicaility, having 5 seats that big people can get in, a nice sized boot and soft squidgy suspension. Then I realised that I would hate myself every time I got in the car for not getting something that was fun to drive....hense I got the MCS. Everytime I get in the car I smile, every morning I drive it like I've stolen it and look forward to my "scenic route" drive on the way home. So what it gets 280 miles out of a tank on a good day and there are times when I have to fill up twice in a day; I'm happy and will continue to pay the £5 a tank to drive it like it was meant to be driven rather than drive it gingerly and save the cash. And when I can no longer afford it, I will go out and get a Toyota Prius and smug my way around town.

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
Yeh i agree that my MCS was not bought for fuel economy but i must admit i am not into all this mpg marlake & just know how many miles i do before i have to fill & just know how much it will cost.

I am the same - i drive my mini like there meant to be driven & its drives my parents mad but to be honest i have just found out that the mini really likes tesco super & does really well.

I ddidnt believe in the super stuff & kept rigedly to standard bp but for a extra 4/5p a litre its worth a go

Not sure if you would get the same results in other cars but seem to like the mini

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
given that my JCW regularly exceeds 40mpg on motorways and averages 32mpg over the last 5000 miles I'm not really bothered.

been trying super both 97 and 99RON over recent months and the only difference I've seen is in my wallet, no extra mpg or performance :(

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I just thought I'd make a point seeing as their is a similar named thred in the "new" mini (R56) section! And anyway, its Friday and I need a little rant...

A lot of my friends are very worried about their various cars fuel consumption, and often point out that the my MCS ('02) poors petrol out the back, not being very efficeint. They all drive like coffin dodgers and nurse 350/400 miles out of a tank and worry everytime they get in a car about breaking 3000 revs.
When it comes to the MCS, who really cares about fuel consumption? When i got my car I thought about practicaility, having 5 seats that big people can get in, a nice sized boot and soft squidgy suspension. Then I realised that I would hate myself every time I got in the car for not getting something that was fun to drive....hense I got the MCS. Everytime I get in the car I smile, every morning I drive it like I've stolen it and look forward to my "scenic route" drive on the way home. So what it gets 280 miles out of a tank on a good day and there are times when I have to fill up twice in a day; I'm happy and will continue to pay the £5 a tank to drive it like it was meant to be driven rather than drive it gingerly and save the cash. And when I can no longer afford it, I will go out and get a Toyota Prius and smug my way around town.
Yep, good rant. Count the fun not the costs.

Reactions: Moleatrude

·
MCS R53 Red and ******
42 Posts
"£5 a tank"

Result!:D

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
I personally couldn't give a toss to fuel economy - if I did I would have a Polo Bluemotion, but since I'm a driving enthusiast, and have some kind of soul, I drive an S :p

My average in my old Cooper according to the clock was 27.9, in the S it's 22.8 - do I care? No :D I've put 9k miles on my Cooper S since April, and I'd rather sacrifice my othr rather indulgent habbits before I deprive my poor S of fuel :p

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree MCS is fun to drive, but 25mpg is poor for a small car - it should really be in the mid to late 30's.......I dont think mpg should be traded off with Fun - both can be acheived. I will probably look at mpg when I buy my next mini, its a must in these envronmentally concience times.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the positive replys to a good old rant! Its comforting to know I'm not alone!

I will probably look at mpg when I buy my next mini, its a must in these envronmentally concience times.
Unfortunately, I'm not too fussed about the recent environmental concience people have developed. I don't want this to turn in to an eco debate, but I have done quite a lot of reading (mainly at Uni) into the co2 thing, and it turns out that global warming would have happened with or without us, its good old nature. So when it comes to having a bit of fun in my car I don't like to worry to much, I'm all for going green with renewable energy, but when there is a MCS which runs on a fuel that is actually green (i.e. not charged up from the power sockets at home!!) and can match mine for speed I will happily change....until then I'm gonna keep on driving like I'm in the Bourne Identity.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
given that my JCW regularly exceeds 40mpg on motorways and averages 32mpg over the last 5000 miles I'm not really bothered.

been trying super both 97 and 99RON over recent months and the only difference I've seen is in my wallet, no extra mpg or performance :(
I now use V-Power - get an extra 40 miles a tank (plus double air miles :) ) compared with before when was using 95RON. Cant say I notice a difference in performance but for the sake of an extra £4 a tank for the VPower I think its worth it.. IMO

The car is for fun dont feel guilty for using it that way. Ive got a Dooper service car at the mo and after half a tank it says ive got another 320 miles to go - 320 miles is what I get out of my R53 JCW - but its not the same performance as the JCW so Im happy paying extra as the fun/feelgood factor of the JCW is defo worth it!!!

I second what SteveM3 says - good rant. Count the fun not the costs. :)

·
MCS & Cobra 427
46 Posts
I've been running a new R56 MCS, so far done about 1500 miles. Mileage varies but is not motorway miles, nor a lot of slow traffic.
I've switched between the Tesco Super 99 & standard 95RON petrol (either Esso or Shell) ,and have noticed quite a difference. I'm averaging 36.9 MPG on the Tesco 99 stuff, about 32.8 MPG on the lower octane fuel on similar travel patterns (calculated on actual mileage/fuel used, not the Mini MPG display).
So in effect I'm getting roughly 10-12% improvement on the Tesco 99RON fuel and about 450-500 miles per tank on the 99RON, about 350-400 on the standard unleaded, and given that the 99RON is 6p a litre more expensive, it therefore works out about 12.4p per mile on the Tesco99RON stuff and 13.2p per mile on the 95RON. Not much difference at 0.6p per mile and over a standard 8000 miles per year, it only works out about £60 cheaper per year.

It's not a great comparison given the low mileage involved, but I also perceptively notice the difference in performance also.It goes MUCH better on the 99RON stuff, I have to say.....the throttle response is much better, plus I don't get the dreaded "revs-drop" quite as badly as I set off.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've had a couple of 2.8L Beemers so i know a thing or two about poor fuel economy!

The CooperS is rubbish when compared to some other small cars in MPG terms but they are rubbish when it comes to the grin factor :D

I was a bit worried about the fuel economy of my first big beemer but i bought it for the looks and performance, not the MPG. There's too many other things to worry about in life, without letting the MPG figure get you down!

Drive it like you stole it ;)

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
i think i'll give this Tesco super juice a try.. sounds like a good deal
Defo worth a go - i didnt beleive it till i tried it - just done 135miles to half a tank - country driving - going to see how dare low i go to see what i get to 1/4 tank as didnt get to tesco this weekend - dont normally let it go under 1/2

May not work one one tank may need two to get a good idea.

My first tank i tried did me 350/400 for a 1/4 tank but that was somerset to to West sussex so a lot of motorway driving which seems to be better for the mpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, am thinking about gettin a cooper s, i currently drive a vw bora 150 tdi, which is fast and does 45mpg no matter how hard you drive it, takes £60 to fill up and i get around 400 miles a tank, on average, how much does the tank take to fill in the s and how many miles on a tank do u get?
thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
Filled mine up today with 87.9p Tesco Super Unleaded 99, and it cost me £36.50 - there was only about 30 miles left in the tank.

I get about 300 miles from a tank, but always fill up around the 30 miles to go mark, so I have about 270 miles on the trip computer.

I don't drive like a grandad, but I don't drive like a suicidal boy racer either - put my foot down when I need to / want to, and drive normally the rest of the time. My everyday drive to work is a 32 mile round-trip, then weekends it's usually pottering around town / forward and back between Notts and Bham.

Hope that helps!

·
Lost in Mini2
948 Posts
hi, am thinking about gettin a cooper s, i currently drive a vw bora 150 tdi, which is fast and does 45mpg no matter how hard you drive it, takes £60 to fill up and i get around 400 miles a tank, on average, how much does the tank take to fill in the s and how many miles on a tank do u get?
thanks
Depends on if your looking at getting an R53 supercharged or an R56 Turbo, as both have very different mpg's

·
06 Mini Cooper S
32 Posts
My daily commute is a 50 mile round trip along country lanes, if I'm in the mood and drive hard I'll get about 25 mpg. Since it's icy at the moment I've been taking it easy and get 30mpg. The other weekend I drove 110 miles down the M4 and got 22 mpg (though I was making progress :D). I've had the car 3 months and not been able to get more than 30mpg out of it on a trip. Perhaps I'm just addicted to the supercharger's whine and being pushed back in my seat though ;)

·
Speed freak
11 Posts
My R53 is lucky to get 30mpg around town and iv never managed to get more than 250 miles to a tank! That is actually really bad for a 1.6, NA or supercharged! However those 250 miles are stop start journeys, a few miles here and there and i dare say the car doesnt even get up to full temp half the time.

But i drove down to the NEC today from Liverpool, and averaged 39mpg on the motorway run, so there is a HUGE difference between city miles and motorway miles. I was very surprised!

Also before the MCS i was used to getting 600miles to £55 out of a diesal golf. Always managed between 50 to 60mpg.

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
I personally couldn't give a toss to fuel economy - if I did I would have a Polo Bluemotion
I drove my mates hired Bluemotion Polo while his Stilo was in, and got 32mpg. I'm getting that out of the Fiesta - Though at the moment its hovering at more like 29 which is cack for a 1.3 that does 0-60 in 15.8 secs :p Good fun all the same though :cool:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts