MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No matter how economically I drive my One, whenever I look at the fuel guage after like 10-20 minutes driving, it has dropped quite strangely and dramatically. I don't know if its because of the shape of the fuel tank or something but the second quarter of the tank seems to just dissapear in a matter of a day and a bit, where does it go!? The first quarter isn't too bad and I usually manage to pull 100 miles from that, but then from 3/4 to 1/2 it just drops and get around 60-70 miles, same with 1/2 to 1/4, then hangs a bit on the 1/4 mark. I've never been able to get more than 360 miles from a tank even when I'm constantly feathering the throttle. I share the car with my brother and he never takes the car passed 3k revs and just uses the car to drive to the gym and back a few days a week, which is about a 6 mile all round journey. I drive to college and back every other week which is 45 miles each day, practically all motorway, and today when I left the house the guage was reading just below 3/4 and now its on 1/2...is that normal? am I being paranoid? Just doesn't seem right, had a courtesy car last week because some ****er in a lorry went into the back of me and that managed 100+ miles from a 10'er. I really think the long gear ratios in the One's play a big part, most cars these days have short gear ratios and get good MPG figures. Would just like to see what other's are getting in their Mini Ones. Will be able to see my MPG soon once I get thsi darn Scanguage setup on the car!

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
The first quarter of the tank will always take longer to use up as you have the fuel in the pipes that is used first before using the fuel in the tank (if you get me?!)
Once your past that first quarted the fuel will go down a normal, you should be getting at least 35 mpg's out of your ONE, remember in the Winter it will be worse.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Had a One for 5 days the other week and I was shocked at how bad the fuel economy is in them, over the days I covered usual roads such as country lanes to work, motorway and over the time averaged out 37.2mpg:eek:

I get at least 34mpg in our R56 MCS and roughly 30mpg in the GP.

And the other thing that concerned me with the One was that you have to give it some serious welly to get it moving and I just thought that things like the clutch wouldn't last me all that long so it wouldn't be a cost saving long term.

Very disappointed and would not consider buying a One.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
I did very much enjoy my 2001 One, as it was my intro to the joys of MINI. But it was never a very economical car, and the extra "enthusiasm" you needed with the throttle to keep the car moving along at a decent clip defienitely had an impact on the economy.

I also noticed a significant improvement in economy during the winter - which I thought was due to having conventional winter tyres as opposed to the standard runflats for summer. I would love to know if anyone else experienced the same?

I would say that my Cooper Cabrio has better overall economy than the One did, though I have no scientific proof.

Ian

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the thing which really gets on my nerves is how you have to be so slow off the clutch or give it quite a lot of right foot to pull off - probably because of the long gear ratios, so easy to labour the engine pulling off in stop-start traffic it makes it a nightmare, why did Mini choose to use LONGER gearing in the One which is sopposed to be the more economic, less sporty of the 3 Minis, I don't understand *sighs*

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Have you considered getting it remapped? Might do wonders for you.....but maybe not so good for your insurance!

BTW, hope MINI-driving students at Reading are not as daft as the ones at Bristol!!!

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I've had a bluefin installed for about 2 and a bit weeks now, love the performance increase but thought there was also a fuel economy benefit too, havn't noticed any difference in that department. I've honestly never seen a daft mini driver around here, I'm the only young person who drives one around here I think

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Yeah the thing which really gets on my nerves is how you have to be so slow off the clutch or give it quite a lot of right foot to pull off - probably because of the long gear ratios, so easy to labour the engine pulling off in stop-start traffic it makes it a nightmare, why did Mini choose to use LONGER gearing in the One which is sopposed to be the more economic, less sporty of the 3 Minis, I don't understand *sighs*
Thats what worried me, the amount of clutch needed, and the smell of it burning:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts