MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last tank returned just 29mpg!!:( I have to admit it was the first tank after my running-in period was finished so I was exploring the performance above 5000rpm a few times, but even so, this seems rather poor.

What are other people getting on higher mileage cars?:confused:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
After 850 miles in a Steptronic I have got 34, 31 and 30.2 respectively. Not good but I have an excuse- it's automatic!!! I would hate to see my fuel guage go down in an auto at 5000 revs I reckon you could watch it full! In fact you can do that anyway after filling the tank it doesn't read full after 3 miles!!!

James

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've put 7 tank fulls of petrol in my Cooper over about 2000 miles giving MPGs of:

with an average of 31.5 MPG. That last spot MPG was part of a 400 mile round trip of mostly motorways.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I have covered over 7000 miles now and the average seems to be around 35mpg but it depends on how heavy your right foot is... :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
85% motorway driving....
240 miles at an average of 69mph...
38.7mpg.

Cooper.Air temp. below 2 Celsius. All windows/roof closed. Little use of a/c. All driving lamps and stereo on.

I think my urban average is around 36, but I only use the car at weekends and rarely sit in a queue to return these figures.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Isn't the average meant to be 42 mpg from BMW? No one seems to be getting that. I drove my Yaris Auto very hard got 48mpg in 30c heat with aircon on the combined for that is supposed to be 45 I think. I used to beating the combineds not being miles away! Mind you a 1.4 polo auto with very delicate right foot 29mpg and that drove like a truck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mini Mpg

I have got a mini one and the Mpg seems to be ok. If I drive it on the motorway at 70 mph it returned 41 mpg. The next tank was around town and my mini returned 32. The last time I filled up was once again motorway driving but this time the car was filled up with family and other christmas related items the the speed was approx 80-85mph it returned 35mpg. I don't think that is that bad from a 1.6.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would expect MINI to return 36 to 38 mpg based on the official figures (combined = 42mpg) in normal mixed driving (in temeratures above 15C) - the current cold snap will not help at all so its too early to winge just yet, and the engine still feels tight.

If I'm not getting these sort of numbers by April, then I will be Miffed. Low 30's is very poor for this size of engine / vehicle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is the MPG I have been getting form the last nine fill ups in my Mini ONE.

Average of 34.5

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I don't care how much miles I'm getting this car is so much cheeper to run than anything I've had in years and
its so much fun who cares.

in the words of LMB the car is so much fun it should be illegal

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Cooper CVT has returned no better than 23 mpg in each of the last 4 fill-ups. My driving is entirely London streets, mostly to and from work during rush hour. For the 9 mile trip, I average 18 mph in the mornings and 12 mph in the evenings. Should I still be disappointed with this fuel economy, even given the traffic?

·
Registered
121 Posts
MPG

If its any help, although it costs more per litre super unleaded or Shell Optimax etc gives much better MPG that ultra low sulpher unleaded.

The extra octane rating gives much better MPG and ime sure the extra expense is outweighed by the extra MPG. You also have the extra bennefit of extra va va voom!! :D

no official figures yet but ime working on em!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not yet have high miles on my Mini Cooper but so far I am getting around 30 MPG on high octane fuel. That's not bad yet not what I would have expected.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just filled up for the fourth time this morning. So far my results have been:

I use premium unleaded and I honestly have no idea why I'm getting such crummy mileage (or why it keeps getting worse!). I'd say I spend about half my driving time on the freeway where I usually go about 70MPH.

Pieter

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I have found a massive increase in MPG by using 99RON petrol instead of 95... When using 95RON I was only getting around 25mpg - mostly round town driving though...

Dom

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Dom said:
I have found a massive increase in MPG by using 99RON petrol instead of 95... When using 95RON I was only getting around 25mpg - mostly round town driving though...

Dom
....but DOM is the increase in fuel economy greater than the increase in fuel price for 99RON?
I'd rather use you as the genuie pig before I give it a go :p :p :p

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Martin L said:

....but DOM is the increase in fuel economy greater than the increase in fuel price for 99RON?
I'd rather use you as the genuie pig before I give it a go :p :p :p
Well I'm getting a good 30 miles more out of a tank, and 99RON is 5p per litre more expensive than 95... which is only £2.50 a tank...

So when I was getting say 25mpg, you can see it's working out cheaper with 99RON for me!

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Dom said:

Well I'm getting a good 30 miles more out of a tank, and 99RON is 5p per litre more expensive than 95... which is only £2.50 a tank...

So when I was getting say 25mpg, you can see it's working out cheaper with 99RON for me!
Great news DOM, I'll fill up with the old super unleaded in my next tank, I do mainly city driving too and have been getting only 25-27mpg :eek:
Let's hope it works, better performance too I guess :D :D :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Disappointment

I am really disappointed with the reported gas-mileage for the MINI. :mad: The new 2003 Toyota Corolla seats five comfortably, its engine produces better than 120 hp and I have a friend averaging 40+ mpg. I must say for less horsepower and a smaller size I was hoping to do at least as well.
Don't get me wrong, I'm REALLY excited about this car, but it just seems that something just isn't working right. Are there any tips for increasing fuel economy in the US? From what I can tell Shell's Optimax is not available and higher than 93 octane is hard to come by.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts