MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Just brimmed my 2001 MC for the second time since purchase a few weeks ago. Each time, i have only managed to get around 37-38 litres into the car, despite driving for around 30 miles afeter the red fuel light had come on.

Also, each time, the fuel gauge has only shown 6/8 to 7/8 full, despite me trying to get as much petrol from the pump in as possible.

So i'm wondering if the gauge is playing up and have read elsewhere that an ecu reset can cure the problem. I have now reset the ecu as follows;

"Hi guys, i cannot use this procedure on my 09/2001 mini cooper, i am not too sure why ..but as Tommy T also experienced in a previous thread,we do not get the full list of functional numbers in the test menu but only have 6, 10 and 21 to choose from,however if i go to 21 and wait the display goes off the dials flicker with some noise and everything then restores to the previous state.
But i am not too sure if the ECU has been reset."

(Quote from another forum user, i had the same experience).

The gauge reading hasn't changed so i don't know if i've been succesful.

Can anyone offer some advice - has anyone else had the same problem. Cheers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
well i hope somewone steps up and tells us,my car this afternoon went to the pump all but empty only had enough cash to fill it 3/4,driving off i realized it was still reading empty and started to climb slowly to just below 1/4,so i went back to the station pulled my CC and filled it up took the right amount to fill it and presto it works again.I normally fill full so it's like the float in the tank was stuck untill the will to float became too great.Hummmm:confused:

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Mines just dodgy in general when I have a full tank lol! Sometimes reads nothing at all and I have to switch the ignition off and on a few times.

The correct process for resetting the Dash is to hold the reset button when you turn the ignition on. Press the button till it reads 19 and wait. It will now flick from L on and L off. Press the button at L off and then keep pressing the button until you reach 21. Wait till it says reset and then press the button again. If all the dials flicker and the clock gets wiped then you are successful.

Also worth going into menu 6 I think. This should read 6 digits. The first 3 are the left tank and the right 3 are the right tank in litres. You can also press the button to cycle through the estimated total fuel reading and any identified sensor faults. There's a FAQ on here somewhere as to what it all means.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is a cooper non S,i tried the ignition several times to no avail,as sail it cleared when i filled it up.I shall try your method of resetting the dash.Thanks
P.S i never new the car had two tanks????

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mines just dodgy in general when I have a full tank lol! Sometimes reads nothing at all and I have to switch the ignition off and on a few times.

The correct process for resetting the Dash is to hold the reset button when you turn the ignition on. Press the button till it reads 19 and wait. It will now flick from L on and L off. Press the button at L off and then keep pressing the button until you reach 21. Wait till it says reset and then press the button again. If all the dials flicker and the clock gets wiped then you are successful.

Also worth going into menu 6 I think. This should read 6 digits. The first 3 are the left tank and the right 3 are the right tank in litres. You can also press the button to cycle through the estimated total fuel reading and any identified sensor faults. There's a FAQ on here somewhere as to what it all means.
Only get options 1,6,10 & 21 on mine! Not 19. Will my option 6 be the same as you are suggesting?

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
This is a cooper non S,i tried the ignition several times to no avail,as sail it cleared when i filled it up.I shall try your method of resetting the dash.Thanks
P.S i never new the car had two tanks????
Your car doesnt have two tanks, it is what is called a "saddlebag" tank, that is that it is a normal single cell tank, but there is a large "indentation" cut out of the bottom to allow the exhaust to pass under, as a result of which, below half tank, it is possible to have two levels within the tank, to prevent this giving incorrect fuel levels, there are two sender units, one on the right side of the tank, and one on the left. It is the calculated figure between the two readings that can sometimes "confuse" the instrument ECU.

They will read different if you have just finished driving (particularly if you have been cornering hard) or if you are on eneven ground, the levels will equalise if you leave the engine running for 2-3 mins on a level surface, switch off the ignition, wait 30secs then try again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
No i was'nt referring to the thought of two tanks i clearly understand whats happening there, but sucessfully reset the dash following the instructions keeping me away from BMW(bring money withya)compliments to you guys and this forum:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts